PDA

View Full Version : How to cut acrylic tube?

elbori
06/21/2003, 11:54 AM
I need help on how can I cut acrylic tube. Im don't have many tools so please any help would be appreciated.

This will be my first DIY calcium reactor.

Thanks,

Alberto

serpentine5
06/21/2003, 12:18 PM
I myself would try to get my hands on a recipricating saw (sawzaw) but even a hacksaw will work. You will need to sand the edges after the cut. A hacksaw will cost you no more than $10 and a nice fine tooth blade should be no more than $5.

JD52
06/21/2003, 01:03 PM
You culd do it by hand I guess, youll probably end up butchering the cut though. You need to get your hands on a 12" mitre saw or a radial arm saw to do it correctly.

elbori
06/23/2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys!

Johnnyfishkiller
06/23/2003, 12:05 PM
A band saw is also an option.

Zephrant
06/24/2003, 12:04 AM
Tube Cutting Jig (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169285)

Zeph

nofilter
06/24/2003, 03:33 PM
if you don't have the power tools or $ for them, you can buy a hacksaw and a large stainless clamp (like a hose clamp) but larger in the plumbing section. fit it around and use it as a guide to saw against. you may have some issues about being perfectly perpendicular, but you can get a pretty level cut this way. then place the tube on a sheet of sandpaper on a level surface and go at it. i have gone in 1/2 circles and back and forth motions, rotating the tube every coupla passes.

i have also used a circular saw in a jig i made - i had to buy an acrylic cutting blade. and i have used a table saw that i rented at home depot.

hth, you can see the results of my methods in my gallery. the skimmer was made with the circular saw method. and the calcium reactor was made with the hacksaw method. i prefer the hacksaw method.
i had to sand with the sand paper both ways.