PDA

View Full Version : What is needed for a 55g sw tank?

ZManGT
06/21/2003, 11:25 AM
Guys,

I just bought a 55 Gallon tank with stand and 2 Penguin 330 Biowheels for my new saltwater tank. I need some help for what all is needed. It will mainly be a reef tank with 1 or 2 fish.

What kind of lights?
What kind of other filters?
I figure about 50lbs of LSand and 55lbs LRock.
What is a good Protien Skimmer for this?
How much salt is needed?
How many powerheads are needed?
Did I foget anything?

Thanks so much

3_high_low
06/21/2003, 11:49 AM
Welcome to reef central!

Sounds good ZmanGT,

But to give decent advice we'll need to know some more about your plans. Are you going to have a sump? If you won't have a sump then your skimmer choices are limited to hang-on models. I like the Remora Pro but there are plenty of others out there. What kind of corals are you planning to get? Some prefer more flow and stronger lighting than others.

I don't think you will need the Bio-wheels since you will be getting live rock.

Wild Card-inal
06/21/2003, 11:52 AM
Although I haven't started my fish tank either yet, I know some of the stuff from research...

1. I have heard that Bio-wheels are inappropriate because they produce a lot of nitrates. In fact, power filters are supposedly unnecessary with live rock.

2. I have 100 lbs of sand for an almost 4 inch DSB. If you're going for a DSB you may want 50 lbs more, although it doesn't all have to be live sand as 50 lbs is more than enough to activate more sand.

3. You will need two powerheads since the tank is over 30 gallons.

4. The packages for salt will mark how many gallons worth they are for. There are bags of salt rated for 50 gallons, but that isn't enough. Since you're going to do water changes anyway, you mind as well get some more.

hummer32
06/21/2003, 12:04 PM
That's a whole thread worth of questions. What kind of fish do you want? What kind of corals do you want to keep? Honestly, the best thing to do is read (http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1&page=2) . check out this faq (http://www.reefs.org/library/newbieguide.htm) too. There are also some great books around.

BTW, IMO ditch the biowheels. Most reefs rely on biological filtration from the live rock, a deep sand bed and/or refugium(if you choose). A good protein skimmer also helps out.

ZManGT
06/21/2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. I'll axe the penquins...

I have no plans at this time for a sump. I did some more research and here is what I have come up with

55 Gallon Tank and Stand
2- Aqua ClearPowerheads 301
100lbs sand (I'm using Silica Sand from Home depot) and seeding it with some live sand
200 watt Heater
Prizim Hang On Protien Skimmer
100lbs Live Rock
2 50gallon tubs of salt
Hydrometer

That ought to last until the tank cycles right? My only other question is since I live 5 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean would there be any benifit to using real salt water?

sahinsc
06/21/2003, 12:16 PM
I have a 45 gal tall tank and here is what I have:

1 penguin 280 (1 wheel)
Remora Pro skimmer
1 power head 201
1 powerhead 301
1 65 watt pc retrofit light (10,000k daylight and ultra actinic combo)
40lbs LR
75 lbs LS

So far I have mushrooms, green star polyps, candycane coral, yellow polyps and a rock with red macro algea and some zoo's on it. I know I am limited with what I can keep with the lights I have, but it works so far being that I am a newbie.

Im limited by space with my set up and thus must have everything hanging off the the back of my tank.

The thing I do like with the penguin filter is the amount of crud it catches with the carbon filter.

The only problems I have with this set up is tons of micro bubbles in the water.

Instant Ocean is 1/2 cup per gallon of water, So your first batch will be 27.5 cups for 55 gallons of water.

Wild Card-inal
06/21/2003, 12:20 PM
Using water from the Atlantic may be dangerous. You could introduce harmful animals, or poisons that were introduced by pollution. Using natural water is a cheap idea but, it's not a safe one.

newschool
06/21/2003, 12:20 PM
:)This (http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1) should be your first read! good luck!

sahinsc
06/21/2003, 12:43 PM
Okay, now ya'll have my curiosity going!

So bio wheels can be bad and keep my nitrates elivated??

I have been trying to figure out how to get my nitrates down. They are reading between 5 and 10 on the Hagan test kit I use ( the two lowest marks). I have never been able to get them to zero. It's been driving me crazy. Now come to find out it could possibly be my penguin?? All my other water parameters are good other that the nitrate.

So are you saying ditch the penguin and rely on my LR, LS and protein skimmer and water changes to keep the water clean??