PDA

View Full Version : Need Plans for 55 gal. MH lighting

SteveInKC
06/21/2003, 09:58 AM
Man, trying to page through all the DIY links gets you dizzy...
I would like to upgrade my 4 X 55 PC on my 55 gal to maybe a couple of Flouresent tubes and a couple of MH bulbs. I would like some straight forward plans for this that maybe all go in a light wooden? box that sits on the top.
Anyone done this or seen plans like this they can share?
In the meantime, I'll keep clicking through all the links....
Thanks,
Steve

maximus89
06/21/2003, 10:46 AM
What are your demesions on the tank? Are you trying to build the hole canopy or are trying to modify the present one? What are the inhabitants? How much money do you plan on spending?

ReDsCaReX
06/21/2003, 10:57 AM
if its 48", go 2x250's

SteveInKC
06/21/2003, 12:36 PM
Hi,
It is the run of the mill 55 gal. 48" by 12 1/2". Currently, with the 4 X 55 PC, I have soft corals. The PC hood sets right on top the tank, with the lights about 2" above the water. Really heats up the water also, even though it has a built in fan.

I was thinking about building a whole canopy that would house MH, and possibly two blue florecent if neccassary. I have seen those on some DIY pages. I want to have SPS corals and maybe a clam, but no way with the current lighting.

Thanks,
Steve

maximus89
06/21/2003, 08:35 PM
Well if you are going clam sps I would definetly go at least 250wx2 or 1x400w+2x175w. To set that up would be alittle pricey. But hay it is only money. You need alot of water circulation also not to go off the subject.. I would at least give yourself 10" from the water surface you can always lower your lighting if need be but I wouldnt get closer than eight from the surface with mh. What is your stand made from do you want to match the stand? Canopy I would install a pfo 24"x2 parallell reflectors. You can mount 4 55w or 2 96w +up to three mh in that incloser that is going to be alot of heat to get rid of you are going to need some fans also I built my own hood to match my stand It isnt beutiful but it serves it purpose I have a twin 9" fan a window type it works very well but noisey

auto_loader
06/23/2003, 09:46 PM
I have 2 MH and 2 actinics on my 55 gallon in a wooden enclosure that sits on top like you describe. Theres some pictures of it on my web page. Dont know how much you can tell by looking at the pics but you might get some ideas. Depending on the endcaps and your enclosure design you might need to use 46.5" tubes.