PDA

View Full Version : Internal Overflows: Buy or make them myself???

stevearthur
06/20/2003, 07:42 PM
I was quoted from a local plastics shop $60 for both of my internal overflows (notched and glued) or the other option is to save $20 or less ($44 total for the parts and to notch the top) and glue the parts myself. What should I do? I have never worked with acrylic before and cannot spare any money to practice.

My overflows will be 23"T x 7" x 5.5"

My other question is how deep and at what width should I have my strainer notchs made on top of my internal overflows?

maximus89
06/20/2003, 10:38 PM
I could be wrong but 30.00 installed a piece seem like it would be a great deal I dont know how you could save yourself any money making them yourself. The cheapest premade ones are around 50.00 and you have to install them yourself. You would have to bend or glue two or three sides together depending on where you are going to mount them. And route out the water ways!

ensley
06/21/2003, 02:35 AM
The price does sound good if your time is worth anything let them do it.
As to the gaps, Wider is better, the surface tension will not break through the small gaps and will leave scum on top of the water. If it's too wide then fish, snails, etc. will pass through.
I was looking at mine tonight and thinking next time i will make the slots shorter and let the surface water roll over the top instead of through the slots. Presently it rakes the scum out of the drain and keeps it in the tank. Not what i wanted. When i plug up a few slots the surface level rises over the top and skims properly.