PDA

View Full Version : DIY Sumps

reefjunkie24
06/20/2003, 01:44 PM
I have always wanted to start a reef tank! So, 4 months ago with the help of my mothers intrest (If she can grow every plant under the sun, she thinks she can grow coral too!!) in the subject and pocket book, we started a simple 30 gallon reef tank. Of course we went through all the basic mistakes :mad2: but now have the tank under control. I am leaving to Chicago in 2 weeks for school and am leaving mom to handle the tank. I love the tank but hate all the equipment hanging off the side of the tank (skimmer, UV steralizer, filter, etc.).
I have been reading alot about sumps and the benifits of having one. I am now willing to build a stand using the GARF web-sight guides but also want to build a sump. But, of course i am completely comfused where to begin. I understand the very basics but would like help to make a simple sump with refugium that will be fairly easy for my mother to maintain (she catches on quick). I have a ten gallon glass tank that is not in use and figured somehow i could modify that to make my sump. If there is anyone who can help and guide this novice and excited reef junkie, please let me know!
Reefjunkie24

quiksilver
06/20/2003, 02:11 PM
There are plenty of places that will guide you step buy step through building your own sump. I am in the exact same boat as you only my 30 gallon is with me at school instead of at home. I just started as well but I hated the hang on tank look from day one so I just started out building my own sump. Its almost done. I got the ideas here:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/sumpprojectsdiy/index.htm

Good luck. There are many different styles and options. I recommend

reefjunkie24
06/20/2003, 02:36 PM
Thanks alot...these web sight have helped tremendosly! Hopefully my design i take off of these works. And hopefully i dont drive my mother crazy with all the work on it. "Don't kill the stuff we have in there"...LOL. Oh well...she will like the easy of it after i am done.

Rock Anemone
06/20/2003, 03:25 PM
reefjunkie24 & quiksilver,
[welcome]

Enjoy the site!:thumbsup:

Rock Anemone:D