PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms looking weird

Beattyr
06/20/2003, 11:28 AM
Have a question about some mushrooms I have on a piece of rock. Normally mushrooms are paper thin, however mine have blistered up and gotten quite thick around the edges, making them look sorta like a trumpet coral. I discovered my water parameters were out of wack (alk was high, ca was low, ph low). Everything is coming back to normal and I'm just wondering if off water conditions caused this or if its something else.

ph 8.4
sal 1.025
temp 78
Na 0ppm
Ca over 350ppm as of 3 days ago
DKh 10.2
Phos 0.0

I have 250w of MH lighting in this tank as well which is 37 gal.

I know this is kinda vague, I will borrow the digital camera from work and take some shots when I get home tonight and post them.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated though.

Rob
Thanks

Beattyr
06/20/2003, 08:14 PM
ok heres a pic showing the mushrooms.

on the bottom left side of the rock is a normal thin mushroom

To the right and upwards you can see what i mean about the other mushrooms being swollen or blistered.

Any thoughts on cause?

Thanks

Rob

Beattyr
06/21/2003, 07:51 AM
ANYONE got a clue?

Rob

David P
06/21/2003, 09:47 AM
picture is really fuzy so its hard to tell, but I would guess that its due to so much lighting on such a small tank. Most shrooms prefer lower lighting. Ive heard that ricordia will tolerate higher lighting than others. Try moving the shrooms into a bit of shade and see what happenes.

Aframomum
06/21/2003, 03:01 PM
I have a few different species of Discosoma and Ricordea and have found that some tolerate my 250 MH much better than others. The ones that aren't happy just cringe and don't expand. You may have to move them to an area that is shaded from the direct light.

Mark