PDA

View Full Version : sump and fuge

lowbudgetreefkeeper
06/20/2003, 04:51 AM
i have two 10 gallon aquariums that i want to create a sump and fuge from.... thing is since they are made from tempered glass... drilling them to connect them is not an option.... also... getting plastic tubs to use instead is also not an option due to space constraints. How would i go in connecting the the two tanks together?

skipm
06/20/2003, 05:24 AM
It isn't the most aesthetic way but if you can place therefugium lower than the display tank you can use a hang-on overflow and then pump the water back up to the display tank. This will be in effect working just like a sump system but utilising a refugium in place of the sump. Good luck and I HTH, Skip

lowbudgetreefkeeper
06/20/2003, 03:15 PM
i think i worded this bad.... what i meant to say was that one ten gallon tank will be a sump while the other ten gallon will be a fuge, both of which will be under the main tank... i already know how water is going to enter and exit the sump and fuge, i just need to know how im going to connect the sump and fuge together since these two aquariums are tempered and cannot be drilled... nor is buying plastic containers due to space constraints.. sorry for the confusion guys :)

lowbudgetreefkeeper
06/20/2003, 11:17 PM
^

Vinny Kreyling
06/21/2003, 05:12 PM
you can connect the 2 tanks with "U" tubes. They can be bought or made from any size PVC pipe. Easier to build I think. They can be customized. :)

lowbudgetreefkeeper
06/21/2003, 06:17 PM
thanks alot :)

rotterdamcowboy
06/22/2003, 07:33 AM
Hey LowBudgetRK

I second the use of U tubes. I'm in the middle of a transition from Eheim Canister Filters to a sump/refuge setup, and in the interim before implementing a final sump, I have setup the refuge/sumps with buckets using a spare U tube I got with my overflow. Consider your water flow - as diameter can mean the difference between loosing siphon, or not being able to keep up with your Overflow/return pump - both which will result in water all over the floor.

I'm using 1inch Acrylic clear tubes that were spares that I ordered with my Overflow from lifereef. :)

lowbudgetreefkeeper
06/23/2003, 05:37 AM
water all over the floor eh... hmm.... cant have that....i live in an apartment :D and if even the manager doesnt find out.... the floor might rot and everything falls into the garage.. including me... either way.. im dead if it leaches on the floor.....hmm.. im rambling again.....

but yeah.... just wanted to say thanks for your help :)

drjeff
06/24/2003, 08:06 PM
Would a float switch help in this scenario? I am trying to also figure out how to switch from having a Eheim canister filter to having a sump/refugium under the stand. No drilling allowed on tank now as it is inhabited.

Any suggestions would be weel appreciated.
Dr. J

rotterdamcowboy
06/24/2003, 09:01 PM
drjeff,

Slap an Overflow/Pre-Filter box on the back & go from there. I would highly recommend a "Pre-filter" overflow box from Lifereef. I've heard horror stories about overflow boxes from other vendors, but Jeff at Lifereef really makes a good overflow box - when you can put your hands on it & see it - you know what I mean.

Before I had the sump, I had 1 heater, 2 powerheads in the tank, two intakes & two outlet pipes from the Eheim canisters & Wet/Dry, and the Skimmer's pump, inlet & big dual outlets.

Now all that's viewable is one lone powerhead & a overflow that almost blends into the background. It's beautiful now! Definately didn't like my kit drawing attention away from the corals.

cheers,

Kev

johnfaas
06/24/2003, 10:17 PM
Here is a drilled 10 gal