PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Trim to Stand

mirski57
06/19/2003, 07:16 PM
Okay...Here's what I got. I have my DIY stand for my AGA 180. The "skin" is 1/4" Oak Plywood. And the trim is just some fancy stuff I picked up at home depot for $1 a foot. This is also 1/4". Now, I can use a brad nailer maybe once every 2 feet or so..just enough to hold it. However, I'm curious to know what kind of bonding agent (glue) to make sure it stays in place. Trouble is....there is about 4-5 coats of Polycrylic on the stand and 4-5 coats of Polycrylic on the trim...so wood glue wouldn't necessarily apply in this situation. Did I make this too confusing ?

Simple Question : I want to glue together to wood pieces..but both pieces are covered in 4-5 coats of Polycrylic, and I don't want to sand them, because I want them to keep their water-resistance quality.

Any advice ?
Thanks,
Mirski57

Chris_Reef
06/19/2003, 08:31 PM
If I were in your situation I might be tempted to try 'Liquid Nails'.
I'd take extreme care not to be sloppy with it as it's very nasty messy stuff. I'd use it sparingly and spread it thin as it's very thick. Not sure how it would react with your finish.

Baron
06/19/2003, 09:24 PM
I have used construction grade liquid nail in the past in a simular situation and it worked fine.

As Chris_Reef said becareful not to get it in places that you do not want it becasue it can be a pain to remove. A nice thin coat should work.

Later,
Baron

fishrman
06/19/2003, 09:50 PM
Here is a product you might want to try...it seems to bond almost anything together very well.

http://www.gorillaglue.com/

It's available at Home Depot as well as Lowes.

skipm
06/20/2003, 04:30 AM
I used to work installing cabinets and what we would use to attach edge banding to the laminated edges of countertops was a silicone product called Lexel. Lexel is a clear silicone product that has great adhesive properties. The edge banding that I am referring to is a prefinished wood product. We also would nail it in a similar fashion to what you described, we used a brad nailer and used only enough nails to hold it in place until the Lexel set up. HTH, Skip

mikefish
06/20/2003, 08:17 AM
I would also consider marine goop. At this point you are basically joining two plastic pieces (urethane coated at least), and that's what I typically use for plastics.
Mike

harmonic
06/20/2003, 11:38 AM
Drill them and insert dowels. They make small dowels...