PDA

View Full Version : Need a reef / physics god...for stand

jcm_rdcs
06/19/2003, 04:53 PM
I am in the planning of a 120g aga reef stand. the tank will measure 24x48x24". I like a tall stand. If the base of the stand is marginally wider (3" each side) how tall is too tall??? tank will be on a 15' wall so 4' tall is desirable. At what point will it toppler over??

Homage to the physics god:D

NH_Reef
06/19/2003, 05:05 PM
I'm no physics god, but I would discretely lag the two legs (or corners) closest to the wall right into the wall. If done right, you won't even see them.

Fat Man
06/19/2003, 05:55 PM
One thing to consider is ease of maintainance. For me if I can't reach in to the tank with easy access to all portions while satanding on the floor Interior cleaning, rearranging or what evver becomes a pain. Pain=finding an excuse to avoid. Avoidance= not getting good things done. This could lead to tank problems. For me ease of maitainance is one of the most crucial factors in design.

ReefVan
06/21/2003, 07:06 AM
:D A few questions need to be asked here.

What is the stand made of? Wood, steel, combination?

I'm having trouble visualizing 3" wider at each end? :confused:

Could you post a pic? Worth a thousand words. ;)

With the height you propose, bracing the legs with gussets would be a prudent approach to stop it see-sawing from side to side, whether it's made of wood or steel.

Bracing it to the wall is a great idea, although this won't prevent see-sawing from side to side completely and over time the welds or joints may weaken. :eek:

The higher the stand the greater the twisting moment on each corner. Remember, this setup will weigh about 1300 - 1400 pounds when full of water and LR.

Van :cool:

jcm_rdcs
06/21/2003, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

The stand would be wood, probable 2x4 frame faced with 1/2" or 3/4" maple ply wood.

The 3" mentioned earlier is wor the base of the stand, for example: if the tank is 24x48" then the base (bottom 4" of stand) would be 30"x54:
_____
| |
|____|
| |

Thank again!!

Spudds
06/21/2003, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure I completely understand the problem. You have a stand that is slightly wider and longer then your tank and you want to know what the odds of the tank toppling over are? In this case the setup is no more or less stable. You mention a higher stand also, this will indeed make it less stable but to torque rather then translation. For the tank to actually tip over, the center of gravity of the tank would have to come out and over the base of the stand. I may very well be misinterpreting the question, fire up MS Paint and give us a crued but well labled sketch along with an expanation and I'll help however I can.

Spudds.