PDA

View Full Version : Lifegard BIG DIGITAL temp alert

Ferkinz
04/12/2001, 02:06 AM
On the top (in/room temp) it seems to be displaying the room temperature just as noted in the VERY BRIEF instructions on the back of the package. On the bottom (out/probe temp)are just two letters, LO which wont go away no matter what I try. I absolutely am stuck here. I tried another battery, and its not working. Extremely distressed. If anyone has any clue please give me a response.

Ferkinz

chris
04/12/2001, 07:52 AM
Ferkinz,

Is this an existing tank or one your just filling up? Reason I ask is this. I just bought a digital DB meter, and when the DB is below the specified range it registers "LO". I was just thinking if the thermometer has a particular range that it operates in, like 65 degrees to 100 degrees or something like that, then maybe your water temp is below 65 if your just setting it up and putting water in. Just a shot in the dark.

c

pillions
04/12/2001, 10:20 AM
The thermometer reads from -58 to 158F. Sounds like yours is belly up.

Anyone notice that when you have the device sitting on the table it reads about 0.1-0.8 degrees difference between room and water (should be the same)? This concerns me.

[Edited by pillions on 04-12-2001 at 11:46 AM]

zerrez
04/12/2001, 10:25 AM
Mine went belly up last week. I came home from work and it was completely blank. I replaced the battery and notta. A few days later it started working again but now everything on the display is lit up at once, you know like 188 and all the options. Its dead.

I would think yours is also.

Anyone know what the warranty on them is? I cant find my box and ive only had it about 2 months. Hmm.

Thanks, and sorry yours died also.

es53
04/12/2001, 02:09 PM
Re: warranty. I didn't find anything about a warranty on the package, it does say "2-Year Battery Life". Just got mine about a month ago. Sure hope they are better made than it sounds here. :)

Reefnut
04/12/2001, 03:29 PM
There is a way to set it for a low, a high, or a low and high alarm. Without having one in front of me, I don't remember how to change it but I don't think your is broken. I think you have it set for the low alarm. If you can't figure it out I can look at mine tonight and let you know how to change it.

Scottm
04/12/2001, 10:30 PM
I was at Target this evening and found a unit that functions EXACTLY the same as these for 14 bucks. Reads inside temp and outside temp - also has a high low alarm with memory of the highest and lowest reading taken. Just a thought.

Ferkinz
04/12/2001, 10:31 PM
Reefnut

I think its broken. We did try every possible setting arrangement. And followed instructions on the back of the package. It is just stuck on LO when you turn the switch back to the operating position.

Ferkinz

Jimmy Walls
04/13/2001, 03:33 AM
I had one that the wire to the probe came in contact with a VHO bulb and melted the covering causing it to short. I would quess the probe or wire is lose or damaged.
Jimmy

zerrez
04/13/2001, 08:34 AM
Hmm thats kinda lame if there is no warranty, I guess that you get what you pay for. Oh well. Guess I wont be buying another one from them any time soon. 28.00 for two months worth of working is not my idea of a good device.

I think Ill check target, I also saw one at home depot but it was around 35.00, 14.00 works for me. Thanks.

Reefnut
04/13/2001, 08:53 AM
I will look at mine later and see if I can help. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember having the same problem when I set the alarms on it. BTW, I have had good experiences with these, I have 1 big temp&time and 3 lit. temp & times. I accidentally ripped the wire out and soldered them back and even dropped one into a tank. It dried out and still works.

Ferkinz
04/13/2001, 01:19 PM
I'm very curious about this Target one. Brand and name of unit... Sounds pretty good.

Ferkinz

Ferkinz
04/13/2001, 05:53 PM
The Target one is 14.99 and works like a CHAMP ! Highly recommend.

Ferkinz

Scottm
04/13/2001, 07:16 PM
Glad to hear it! I didn't actually buy the unit while I was there, but I had planned to next week or so when I get the tank actually running. I will definitely get that one. Heck, you can toast two of these for the price of the big time and temp unit. Question - I didn't actually open the package so I could not tell where the other sensor is - the one that picks up the room temp. Is it an internal or external sensor? I only saw one external probe.

Ferkinz
04/13/2001, 07:24 PM
Yes, one sensor is in the upper right of the unit itself, and the probe is attached to a 10 FOOT cord. Same exact as the big time and temp. Only double the cord, and half the price.

Good find.

Target look out... Reefer madness on the way.

Ferkinz

Reefnut
04/13/2001, 09:00 PM
Sorry, I looked at mine and it was the up/down arrows that I remembered, not the word lo. I would agree that it is broken. Here is a link to the web site, I would contact them and ask for a replacement.

Reefnut
04/13/2001, 09:02 PM
http://www.rainbow-lifegard.com

pillions
04/13/2001, 10:45 PM
Those of you who have seen the target version (which I could not find in my local store) - does it look like the Rainbow one with slightly modified plastics? The air temp sensor is in the same place etc... I wonder if Rainbow licensed the design to/from some Asian ODM. Once a certain time passes, the ODM can sell the design to others. Hmm.... Might be the same electronic guts in a slightly modified package w/o an aquarium brand name. I'll keep my eyes open for a unit.

What section of Target?

Ferkinz
04/13/2001, 11:36 PM
pillions

Its the exact same. If I hold the two side by side, they are clearly made by the same place. They were in the back of Target in the same general area as the tools and auto supplies.

HTH

Ferkinz