PDA

View Full Version : DIY Networkable Controller (Aquacontroller/Octopus style)

rcaston
06/19/2003, 10:54 AM
It occurs to me that this hobby blends so many sciences, biology, chemistry, mechanical and electrical engineering... and often, computers.

So why not a project to come up with a DIY controller, using standard PH, Temp, ORP probes, and on/off electrical switch or two, and running a embeded version of linux with a tcpip stack and a simple ethernet port for relaying the information? no LCD, no huge markup... just a simple scripting language, maybe perl?, for doing automations on/offs, etc. basically, a cheap controller for anyone to use... maybe make a cute simple front end for it in java...

Another more practical angle to begin this project, and increase the accessability of the device and just build a device for relying information from some standard digital sensor/probes (like Neptune's PH, Orp, or Temp probes) to output to a PC's serial port, and write software to capture and record that data. Once that can be done, we can do a variety of things with graphing data, analyzing data, and responding to the data via set parameters, (when x > y do z), etc.

Getting the sensors/probes and the responders (a AC outlet or x10 style device) wired and able to communicate to a PC via either serial, usb, or ethernet would be the initial challenge that would be a benefit to all of us.

It doesn't seem cost prohibitive yet, the probes themselves retail for around $40 each in the case of Neptunes PH, Temp, and ORP probes.

another possibility is using this embeded board with ethernet and tcpip, at http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/

Baalz
06/19/2003, 11:07 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=145

seems it didnt go well....

rcaston
06/19/2003, 12:51 PM
hrm.. Think it's worth trying to restart?

jman785
06/20/2003, 12:46 PM
seems its going well on this project :)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188880

- Jared

grim
06/20/2003, 01:18 PM
My DIY system is running great! Any time I need a new 'feature', I'll just code it up! I think I'm the guy that turned some of those folks onto the 'Labjack' I/O box, it's really the cheapest and easiest way to connect your computer to anything 'external'. I'm working on a new system as well, having spent a few years in IT, I know not to trust a computer, thus my new system will all be PLC based. I've got a few PLC setups to play with, an industrial setup by AB, as well as this fancy miniature PLC setup by Keyence (very cool stuff).

jb

rcaston
06/20/2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by grim
My DIY system is running great! Any time I need a new 'feature', I'll just code it up! I think I'm the guy that turned some of those folks onto the 'Labjack' I/O box, it's really the cheapest and easiest way to connect your computer to anything 'external'. I'm working on a new system as well, having spent a few years in IT, I know not to trust a computer, thus my new system will all be PLC based. I've got a few PLC setups to play with, an industrial setup by AB, as well as this fancy miniature PLC setup by Keyence (very cool stuff).

jb

do you have any of your plans online?

grim
06/20/2003, 02:58 PM
I've got a few posts on this site, as well as on reefs.org, if you search you should be able to find them.

My concept is simple, most of the 'guts' of the system are 1) a pc and 2) the labjack I/O device. Switching of powered devices are done by solid state relays. The only other 'fancy' circuitry is for input sensors, temp, pH, etc. All this circuitry is basically the pre-amplification necessary to be fed into the Labjack with a 0-5v signal. Post-processing to turn these values into a human readable format is done in code (as is most everything else).

The nice thing about coding it myself is that I can put a build in my own warnings and emergency backups.. For example, if it gets too hot, turn off the halides, if it is still too hot and the halides are off, turn off the PC's. Still too hot? Turn the skimmer off and send me an alpha page on my pager telling me that i've got an overtemp warning. I've also got a web page I can go to from a browser to check the real-time stats, or I've been playing with some wireless accessible code to be able to access my tank stats via my cell phone, etc.

I'd never give up the flexibility afforded to me by doing this DIY.

jb