PDA

View Full Version : PVC Primer

ejmeier
06/19/2003, 10:35 AM
Do I really need to use this stuff? I decided to try some after using just cement, and primer is really REALLY messy. :mad2:

This stuff is as thin as water, as soon as I took the top off, there was some residue in the threads of the cap, which proceeded to douse my hand in primer and stain it purple. Plus, the applicator is just way too big, or at least it sucks up way too much primer and just makes a bigger mess. There are splatters of purple all over my pipes now, both on the inside and the outside.

I kind of got the hang of it after a while, but this stuff is a major pain to use. Does anyone have any suggestions?

PS - I hate primer.:mad:

rvitko
06/19/2003, 10:38 AM
They make clear primer. Purple is for commercial use to enable an inspector to verify primer was used. You do need to use primer if you want a good solid bond. Try wearing gloves and pouring the primer onto a rag and wiping done the pipe with it instead of using the brush.

ejmeier
06/19/2003, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I fonud out about wearing gloves pretty quick.:) Also, I used a few old newspapers to thin out the brush.

Any idea where I can get some clear primer. I don't remember seeing any at Home Depot, but then again, I didn't really look that hard...

rvitko
06/19/2003, 12:04 PM
They call it cleaner- it is available at home depot.

ejmeier
06/19/2003, 12:35 PM
Ok, thanks for all your help. :thumbsup:

One last question, if you don't mind. How long is primer good before you cement it? The instructions don't really say how long to wait, or if the primer should even be dry when applying the cement. (Plus the fact that I just screwed up and cemented the wrong pieces together, now I have one leftover piece that is coated in primer, but not cemented yet.)

rvitko
06/19/2003, 01:55 PM
The basic purpose of the primer/cleaner is to clean the pipe and etch it. As long as it isn't just sitting in a dusty garage it is probably fine for a day or two.

Entropy
06/19/2003, 03:15 PM
I have never used primer on any of the pipe work I have done including both my front and back yard sprinklers that are under full city pressure. I am not saying that primer is not a wonderful thing but as long as you are working with new pvc I don't think you need the primer. Unless you are using serious pumps (over 1500 gallons per hour maybe) I would not worry about it. Looking at the tanks you have listed I don't think you are pushing enough pressure to worry about.

Of course then again if you already have the primer......

jjkahler
06/19/2003, 05:55 PM
IME, primer is very helpful when glueing PVC to Acrylic using Weld On 16. I couldnt get a good strong seal without using the primer.

Jason K.

ReefVan
06/20/2003, 10:51 AM
:D ejmeier,

Although I myself have never used primer, there are instances where it's use can not be avoided.

jjkahler:
IME, primer is very helpful when glueing PVC to Acrylic using Weld On 16. I couldnt get a good strong seal without using the primer.

is one reason,

Another would be for people putting together a complex piping system or manifold with fixed pipe where a quick cure is not desired.

I have read that the primer slows down the cure cycle of the glue allowing the user to have a bit more time to do final adjustments to the pipes before the glue sets. ;)

Van :cool:

H20ENG
06/20/2003, 02:09 PM
I have read that the primer slows down the cure cycle of the glue allowing the user to have a bit more time to do final adjustments to the pipes before the glue sets.
Yup. Not by much, though.
Without primer, the joint sets almost instantaneously. With primer, maybe 10 seconds. With a couple of good coats of primer, and a good swab of glue, you can exted it to 15 seconds or so.
Remember to hold the joint in place til it sets, it'll try to pop apart.
Watch out for those fumes!:hmm4:
Chris

Playfair
06/21/2003, 07:23 AM
USE PRIMER!!

Clear is available at HD. You want to use the glue immediately after priming both pieces (before it totally dries)...

For especially larger diameters of pipe (1.5" and up) clean both pipe and fitting, goop the pipe, lightly goop the socket, goop the pipe again, insert and twist 1/4 turn.

Why take an unnecessary risk of not doing this right??

The purpose of cleaner/primer is to soften the PVC so the glue(solvent) adheres better (dissolving more) mating surface on the pipe and fittings. Without it, only an ultra thin layer of PVC bonds together... The big picture is not just the water pressure in the pipe, but also any structural loads, vibration, misalignments, etc.
Pretty friggin important me thinks!

There is a newer formula of solvent out there that is one-part, with primer "built in". Haven't tried it, but if you're really lazy, this may be an option. There's enough things that can go wrong without PVC joints being one of them :eek2:

dattack
06/21/2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by jjkahler

Jason K.
Is it kind of messy using both the primer and the weldon 16 at the same time? How long do you wait after the primer is place before dabbing on the weldon 16?

ejmeier
06/21/2003, 10:15 AM
I must say that after using primer (went out and got the clear stuff) that I would not go back to cement-only; It takes a little practice and preparation to not make a mess though. I don't know why, but it just feels right when using primer. It seems as though it really is making a stronger bond, and the pieces IME are much easier to push together if primer was used

I found out the hard way that the brush size corresponds to the bottle size. I bought the biggest bottle because I thought it would be the most economical thing to do in the long run - but the brush was way too big too. :eek:

Dattack - I'm no primer expert, but the primer that I was using dried to the touch in like 10 seconds. (I should know, I dribbled some all over my pipe, but was then unable to wipe it off.) I would say once its "dry" you can go ahead with the weldon.

jjkahler
06/21/2003, 11:38 AM
ejmeier, yes I always let the primer dry before using weldon. Here is a getto skimmer I built with pvc and acrylic using weldon 16, and it is water tight and very strong (although it does not work too well)

Oz-Reef
06/21/2003, 01:00 PM
Primer should be used every time you glue PVC . The primer not only cleans but it also softens the PVC . This lets the glue adhere better . Take a small piece and put some primer/cleaner on it , wait 30 seconds and scratch it . You will see what I mean. As for shelf life the primer will last forever. And by the way always get the clear primer and the clear glue. It's just neater.