PDA

View Full Version : Sump vs Refugium

markmac71
06/19/2003, 10:06 AM
What is the difference between a sump and a refugium? I just ordered a 25 gal sump and wanted to start with LR and calupera in it but i've read a few threads that make me think they are two totally separate things.

NorthCoast
06/19/2003, 10:15 AM
Both are separate holding containers of water attached to your system.

In short, the difference is in the function:

The refugium is a "safe" area for growing pods, inhabitants and/or marco algae for food and nutrient export (via harvesting). It may or may not have its own lighting (depends on purpose).

The sump is a holding area for equipment (e.g. heaters, skimmer, probes, controllers, etc.) and can facilitate water changes without disturbing the display tank.

There are a number of people that have combination sump/refugium and use partitions to separate the container into different functional areas.

Hope that helps, :)
NC

Crevalle
06/19/2003, 02:22 PM
Could someone point me in the direction of a "how-to" regarding sumps? Maybe some pictures or a schematic? How do you get the water FROM the main tank to the sump, and the BACK again? Obviously some type of pump, what what kind? Thanks in advance.

NorthCoast
06/19/2003, 02:35 PM
Here you go:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=1309914&sortby=replies&sortorder=descending

Enjoy,
NC

Crevalle
06/19/2003, 02:37 PM
I appreciate the link, but I don't see any info on sumps????

NorthCoast
06/19/2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Crevalle
I appreciate the link, but I don't see any info on sumps????

Joking right? Or are you not seeing the results to the search query? :)

Please let me know...

Thanks,
NC

Crevalle
06/19/2003, 02:55 PM
I see a list of threads, starting with:
"People from southern CA"
"Close up pics"
"Crystal seas salt causing bleaching"
"Anyone using cheap wavemaker?"
"People from Mexico"

I've checked these first few threads, and I don't see anything remotely related to sumps. Am I missing something?

MalHavoc
06/19/2003, 02:57 PM
I see 306 results specifically about sumps.

Crevalle
06/19/2003, 03:01 PM
My page shows 17,016 topics, and 681 pages. None, so far, have anything to do with sumps.

NorthCoast
06/19/2003, 03:06 PM
Please try this one: http://reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1310101&sortby=replies&sortorder=descending

Thanks,
NC

Crevalle
06/19/2003, 03:09 PM
BOOYAH! There it is!

BlackGrouper
06/19/2003, 03:20 PM
Maybe you are referring to the ecosystem method of filtration.

Basically, you growth macroalgue in the sump with a mud or a sand base.

Check www.ecosystemaquarium.com

Crevalle
06/19/2003, 03:26 PM
So, now that I understand sump construction, I'm wondering what type of pump people use to get the water moving FROM the tank, and BACK into the tank. Also, where does the tubing draw water from in the main tank? Is there just a tube hanging over the side of the tank, drawing water out, and bringing it back in using another tube draped over the side? I know this isn't correct, but it's the only thing I can picture in my mind. Help?!