PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Help Needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

breedingroom
06/18/2003, 09:40 PM
Anyone???
I have an etss ( reef devil) Older model . Cost a pretty penny.

Dropped it. ....Cracked inseveral places, riser tube came off, you get the picture.

Well I was able to get the riser back on and water tight with methyl chloride solvent.
The black sump box at the bottom, apparently suffered a few hairline cracks, and is slowly dripping. I scuffed up the surface and applied scrap 1/4 inch acrylic to it , again with mc solvent. Then, I filled all seams with a hot glue( I have had some great success with Hot glue and has always prove to be water tight and what not) FWIW. Any way does anyone have thoughts on how to maybe just make a new box, and/or remove the old without ruining the rest of the unit. Seems a shame to to throw away just because I dropped it. I know the product is top nothch, but I mean wow $300 down the drain.. I could see livestock, but not drygoods.

I am hoping to maybe figure some of this out through the MACO/reefs.org acrylic class, but that is a ways off. I really would like to get my etss back up and running. Help!

geshields
06/18/2003, 09:58 PM
Close to impossible to detach the box cleanly enough to re-use...Try your best with small acrylic squares and MC. That is your best bet...Make sure you do all gluing horizontally and let the MC seep into the crevice between the scrap and the box...

Greg