PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing Derasa

Mikefromaz
06/18/2003, 02:46 PM
Just a quick question..... I bought an outstanding blue rim Derasa 3 days ago, and am happy to say it attached itself to a rock on the sand the first night. It seems healthy enough, and opens great, is responsive etc. Today, I noticed the clam is expelling water hard about every 5 to 10 minutes, and looks exactly like a clam sneeze :) Anyway, I have a squamosa next to it, and have had the other guy for months so I'm pretty confident the tank parameters are ok. I also put one of those automatic brine shrimp hatcheries in the tank to help feed my LPS, and fan worms etc, and can't help but wonder if the derasa hasn't 'inhaled' a baby brine shrimp or two? I'm sure this is possible, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with a clam expelling water so often? By the way, I have a few fish, they leave the clam alone, and it already has stopped ducking every time one passes over. So what makes a clam sneeze, and should I worry?

SeanT
06/18/2003, 02:57 PM
Mine do that on occassion.
Generally I see some sand shooting out with it.
A way to clean itself out maybe.

ADS
06/18/2003, 06:52 PM
Baby brine and rotifers are large particles for clams. This 'coughing' probably represents the clams gills expelling these particles. I would limit the inflow of brine and see if it stops. Adam