PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a heavier-duty timer than the good 'ole boy Intermatic timer??

Mr James
06/17/2003, 07:00 AM
I was cruising through Richard Durso's website this morning and read something that alarmed me. He said that all of us have had a timer that has died due to the extreme demands of metal halide lights and VHO's. I haven't had one die yet and was hoping to avoid any problems such as fire, smoke, etc... things that scare a homeowner. What kind of timers do I need on my VHO run by an IceCap 660 or on my basic MH (tar and coil ballast??) system?? Why are the Intermatic timers no good for these lights??

AnnArborBuck
06/17/2003, 07:11 AM
Normal timmers that you can buy for running your lights and what not while you are on vacation are not meant for the heavy loads of MH or VHO lighting. You should either get an appliance timmer (Walmart or Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40148) for examples). You can also get an electric timer. They are more up front but will probably last a little while longer. T

he link I added above is for a 20 amp 2000 watt timer with 15 minute intervals for $6.

Mr James
06/17/2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply Buck!! Does it matter that my circuit breaker is only a 15 amp and the timer would be a 20 amp?? can you mix the two like that??

G-money
06/17/2003, 09:38 AM
Yes, you can mix them.
The timer rating means it can handle that much input. Has nothing to do with output.
But because your breaker is only 15 amps, don't run more than 15 on it.