PDA

View Full Version : What is this stuff?

RamManOK
06/14/2003, 03:42 PM
Over the last couple of days, I have noticed this rust colored coating on the top layer of crushed coral, the glass, some rocks, and coral skeletons. Any ideas of what it is, and if it is bad how to get rid of it?

Thanks,
Tom

RamManOK
06/14/2003, 03:42 PM
here is another pic

derrikd
06/14/2003, 03:46 PM
looks like brown algea... is the tank new or have new lights on it??

flemingljr
06/14/2003, 03:47 PM
diatoms, have you added tap water to the tank recently? they feed off of silica, which is abundant in some tap water. they will go away once all the silica is eaten up. to avoid this use RO/DI water.

RamManOK
06/14/2003, 03:49 PM
I got the tank last weekend but it was an established tank. The lights are the same as what he ran it with. How many hours a day ideally would you recommend running the lights?

derrikd
06/14/2003, 03:52 PM
it might just becuse to added new water.. im guessing that you did.. plus the move moved some stuff aroung it will go away. you have any snails in there?? did you use tap?? what kind of lights do you have and what is in the tank..corals?? fish??

RamManOK
06/14/2003, 03:57 PM
ah....TY for the help.

derrik

no snails, yeah I used tap water, lights are 2 6500K power compacts, yellow tang, squirrelfish, pencil urchin, spiny urchin, camelback shrimp, and a few red claw hermits, no corals

derrikd
06/14/2003, 04:01 PM
i think that i would get some snails.. it will keep the galss and rocks cleaner.. it should go away... i would try to find a local fish store that has RO/DI water or it will keep on comming back. or get a RO/DI unit.. look on ebay for them..