PDA

View Full Version : Best altrnative to a Rio for in tank circulation?

JonF
06/14/2003, 08:17 AM
I want the best tradeoff between small size and high volume flow. The Rio 2100 is very small and puts out 692 gallons/hour. This is for an in tank circulation pump/powerhead.

However, I'm very weary of what I've heard of Rios - eg they break, cause fires, shorts or at least break down a lot.

Are there any pumps people think are comperable or better based on size, flow and reliability?

Thanks,

Jon

JerseyReef
06/14/2003, 08:21 AM
For flow of that size, Maxi Jet are out. I think the 1200 only puts out a third of that. The Hagen 402 will push out 400 gal/hr, so that's closer to what your looking for. Hagen are built to last, you won't find too many complaints on those.

More expensive units are the Tunze and Gemini's

Alberio
06/14/2003, 08:25 AM
What you're looking for is a Mag 7. 700 gph. Submersible. Very dependable. They are larger than a Rio though. THey wouldn't look good actually submerged in your main tank.

Smaller Rio's are ok in my experience. Never had a bigger one, but I've read bad things about them.

mjd

JonF
06/14/2003, 08:30 AM
Cost is not really an issue for the pump given the unthinkable "investment" I've made in my 200g at this point (stopped counting). I'll have a look at the Gemini and Tunze pumps.

grateful1
06/14/2003, 09:35 AM
Mag Drive made by Danner is by far my favorite. It is quiet, durrable (i mean like 5-10yrs durrable), and very cheap compared to most pumps. It also can be ran 'in line'.

Mag Drives are all i use on my tanks.

Agu
06/14/2003, 09:43 AM
Jon,

Is it a 200 or 150 ? In any case any of the pumps mentioned are pretty big for in tank use imo. Have you considered a closed loop ? Not only can you go with a stronger pump, you can have multiple inlets, and no pump in the tank.

jmo,

Agu

Tpeck
06/14/2003, 11:13 AM
this was my answer to get rid of Rio's. My new pump will be here in about 5 days as soon as it is, say goodby to Rio

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19006

David P
06/14/2003, 11:21 AM
Id look into a tunze turbelle. Id also look into an eductor. The eductor is a nozzle you put on a water return that sucks in about 4 gal for every 1 gal pumped through.

JonF
06/17/2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have to change my profile - just upgraded to a 200!!

I don't want to run a closed loop b/c I don't want any "clutter" in my tank or any more opportunities for leaks. That's why I just want one pump blowing across the whole back of my tank.

As is now the pump is met once per swirl by my Seaswirl rotating return from my sump. Creates a lot of funky current.

Only thing is I can't find a retailer that sells Gemini Pumps - anyone have any links?

Thanks,

Jon

JonF
06/17/2003, 01:27 PM
Tpeck very cool!

I just ordered a Tunze with the controller that lets me make waves!!!

SHould be here Friday.

imbuggin
06/17/2003, 02:09 PM
mag drives give off a lot of heat. I wouldn't put them in your tank. They work well in-line out of the water. I have used rio's for years. Yes, sometimes I have to change the impeller, but with all the abuse from starting and stopping so often that is to be expected. Maxi jets are nice also