PDA

View Full Version : precocious damsel

mike4271
06/10/2003, 07:02 PM
Ok this is how new I am to maine and reef, Im now watching the tank at the expence of Every Loves Raymond, and they reckon sars is contagious. I must have read almost every post and cant find anything related to what I am looking at in my new reef tank. Initially we introduced three Domino damsels to help in the setup of our system, everything went well and today we put in a starfish, a clown, a bubble anemone, and a coral striped shrimp, everyone seems happy and seetled in. A couple of hours later I notice one of the damsels has some sort of slime like stuff on one side and is skillfully reversing into the coral shrimp, and the shrimp proceeds to clean him with one claw while holding him with the other. So the question is is this a normal simbiotic relationship, or do I have a confused damsel.

Rock Anemone
06/10/2003, 07:23 PM
mike4271,
[welcome]

First off, using damsels to cycle a tank is not recommended. Also, it seems you've introduced some invertebrates including an anemone and starfish. How old is the tank? Has it cycled yet?

Can you describe your system a bit more?

As for the damsel and Coral Banded Shrimp, are you sure the damsel isn't dieing and the Coral Banded Shrimp isn't attempting to devour him?

Can you define "slime."

Remember to keep reading, reading, reading and asking questions. The #1 rule in the hobby is patients and to go slow.

Rock Anemone:D

dolbersen
06/10/2003, 07:30 PM
From what I understand this is completely normal. Sounds like you've got a smart damsel on your hands!

mike4271
06/10/2003, 07:32 PM
Yes the tank was cycled prior to the introduction of any life, the damsels where introduced first after water testing, as far as the damsel dying it looks as healthy as the day i bought it and is very active

mike4271
06/10/2003, 07:42 PM
Yes the tank was cycled prior to the introduction of any life, the damsels where introduced first after water testing, as far as the damsel dying it looks as healthy as the day i bought it and is very active

Rock Anemone
06/10/2003, 07:51 PM
dolbersen,
[welcome]

mike4271, how long has the tank been up? How big? Can you give some more information?

IMO, Starfish and Anemones shouldn't be added to tanks under 6 months old.

Sounds like the damsel is just getting cleaned by the Coral Banded Shrimp like mentioned above. I have seen them do this from time to time in other tanks.

Rock Anemone:D