PDA

View Full Version : How is my tank doing?

Blitzem
06/10/2003, 07:01 PM
I started my tank on the 31st of May (11 days ago). The tank was started with about 60lbs of sand + 40lbs of live sand. I let this sit for a week with the pumps, heat and light going (12 hour light cycle).

On the 7th of June (7 days from setup-this past Saturday) I added 135lbs of live rock from a pet store about 15 minutes away from my home. The rock was cured and had been in the display tanks for 3-4 months. The rocks were transported in plastic bags without water (just condensation) and were out of saltwater for 45 minutes tops.

If you didn't read my earlier post, I got a surprise snowflake eel in one of the rocks and he is doing well, 3 days later. He has hunted down live guppies (just a couple I threw in). I have started teeny little spots of green algae on my sand (smaller than a dime). After testing my water on Monday, a friend of mine with saltwater experience told me it wouldn't hurt to add a sailfin blenny and a brittle starfish (I found a brown worm-similar to an earthworm- is it a tube worm?) to counter the start of algae growth on my rocks and the starfish to search and destroy the worm.

Was this wise or un-neccesary at this point?

I just tested my tank (Now two weeks and 3 days old) and here are my test results:

PH 8.2
SD: 1.021
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 7.5

What are the odds I will take an ammonia hit? I have tried everything I knew of to start a bacterial growth with live sand, live rock, and bacteria in a bottle (one time this last Saturday).

Do I get a free pass from the ammonia hit with the way I did this, or will I be flushing my saltwater creatures soon....

AaaRRRgh- Help!

Ozzy
06/10/2003, 08:06 PM
what are the rest of your parameters Cal,Alk and Temp.
what are you testing with ???
the numbers you have posted look good but we really need the rest to be sure
What are the odds I will take an ammonia hit?
kinda hard to say at this point
and bacteria in a bottle (one time this last Saturday).
this I would not add.
I would just seed the DSB with a kit from IPSF

Blitzem
06/10/2003, 09:10 PM
Ozzy-

My temperature is at 79/80. I do not have a test for calcium or alkaline but will get those tonight. Any specific test products you recommend?

I am using aquarium pharmaceuticals "Master salt water liquid test kit" for my ammonia, ph, no2 and no3.

Thanks!

Ozzy
06/10/2003, 10:28 PM
ya,Salifert (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PA&Category_Code=Salifert) all the way

vikingkim
06/11/2003, 12:42 AM
Hi Blitzem, I did read your other post and I am fascinated by the fact that the eel made it, that is wild! I would propose raising your salinity slowly to about 1.025. I never had any algae issues in m tank cycle two years ago, I added an urchin right after the cycle ended.

Emerald
06/12/2003, 12:32 AM
Well you should definately check those parameters daily for a while. It would be a shame to lose that eel! What an awesome hitchhiker!! I would be very minimal with the food over the next few weeks and hopefully the rock you brought home is loaded with good bacteria. You really should train him off of feeder fish and use pieces of squid or cut up fish. Wow and Good Luck!!