PDA

View Full Version : Help.....green algea!!

nepthea1
06/10/2003, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone!!

My tank is still relativly new. Roughly 6-8 weeks. I have a film of green algea growing on all the glass. Its not on the rocks or anything, just the glass. There are no filiments or projections from it, just a thin green film.

All water paramenters are ok. No nitrates or phophorous. Those were my first thoughts.

My photoperieod was 10 hours. I reduced it to 6, but my leather is looking pretty sad. He's slumped over. Other corals include:

Muchrooms
Ric's
Zoos
Torch
Pipe Organ (Tropicorium said it was a really rare one!!)
GSP

Critters are:
Banded coral shrimp (bastard!!)
Emeral crab
2 peppermint shrimp
serpent star
2 sand sifting stars (less 1 leg, someone ate it!!)
4 turbo snails
10 astrala snails
2 nassarius snails
? blue legs
? red legs (someone keeps eating them too!!)

Fish:
1 lonely Percula!

I'm dosing B-Ionic 5ml per day, and Coral Vital 1/4 tsp. daily.

Anyway, have any ideas on how to get rid of the algea so I can marvel at my tank??!!

:eek1: :eek1:

TacoKing
06/10/2003, 12:26 PM
This might be an obvious choice, but what about cleaning magnets? Algae is going to grow on the glass no matter what. You will need to clean the glass every couple of days because of this.

Other than reducing your nutrients with a refugium, better skimmer or water changes, just cleaning it is probably your best bet :)

-TK

Hvy_Dty
06/10/2003, 12:38 PM
I've had the same problem with green film algae on the glass...I bought a Tunze cleaning magnet. It works great. I use it once or twice a week and it keeps the front viewing glass crystal clear. Re-reading your post, it doesn't say if you use RO water or not...this would help if you're not using it already.

nepthea1
06/11/2003, 10:58 AM
I am using RO/DI water. I have about 35 lbs of LR and 3 inches of SD in the tank. I have a Prizm cranked up as high as I can get it without filling the cup with water, and dumping bubbles into the tank. Its not really pulling out much.

This algea grows FAST!! In less than 12 hours, I can hardly see in the tank. I clean the glass in the morning before I go to work, and by the time I get home, its all back.

I would love to be able to only clean my glass a couple of time a week!!

Any other ideas? :(

tanku
06/11/2003, 11:02 AM
nepthea1: when you clean the algae does it cloud your water for very long?

nepthea1
06/11/2003, 08:18 PM
Not too bad. Maybe like 3-5 mins. Its really making me nuts!!

I have all these great new corals, and I can hardly see em!