PDA

View Full Version : Polyp question

fishinhd
06/08/2003, 07:15 PM
Let me start by saying that I am very new to my reef, as opposed to many years of freshwater experience. I have a very hard time with common names of reef "critters" yet less scientific names....please excuse my ignorance!

I have a 150 gl. that has been up and running for approx. 4 months. Went through my brown algea stage with the rock...snails and hermits are now taking care of that. I started with 2 yellow tailed damsels and then added a yellow tang and clownfish approx. 5 weeks later. These two were given to me by a friend breaking down a 55 FO tank.

My water parameters are exceptional...I won't bore you here. Top off and changes with RO/DI water. 3 powerheads on a wave timer (great currents), Rainbow Lifegaurd system taking from the tank into chemical module with plain carbon, into fluidized bed, into heater module, back to tank (no sump).

Corraline algea really poking through. I have started with some very simple, inexpensive coral. First stocked 2 weeks ago was a featherduster and a clump of polyps. Stocked today was a pink tip anemone and something else!!!!

Here is my question....I have read about these polyps (brown in color, $15 at LFS) reproducing (growing?). The guy at the LFS says when they do so, I can cut them, but keep between the "chutes". Is this OK? I feel "scared" to try to cut a coral, as it is more of an animal than a plant. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I said, I am very ignorant to a lot of this!

Thanks....Mike

ezhoops
06/08/2003, 08:21 PM
That's a great question, I have never heard the term "chutes" used before. But yes you can cut them (called fragging) and glue or place them wherever you like (within reason) Thats where I will stop. I could say more but it is likely I will lead you wrong, so I would suggest that if no one answers your question completely in this forum you might want to try to post this same question in the coral propagation and aquaculture forum. The people who view that forum are very knowledgable about such topics. In fact if I remember correctly there is even a forum on what you are talking about (polyps) which are called zooanthids (sp) so look in the Zooanthids forum (again my spelling is probably of) but you'll find more than enough info.
Good luck