PDA

View Full Version : Beginner questions about urchins

Toutouche
06/08/2003, 07:55 AM
This is gonna sound basic.
I'm about to go get my first Tuxedo urchin, and I haven't been able to find the answer to these very basic questions. To acclimate them, do I do it very slow as with other inverts? Can I lift them out of the water for a couple seconds as they are transferred to the tank? Lastly, are their spines dangerous like a long spined black urchin ( can I pick it up to transfer)?

tangelica
06/08/2003, 08:46 AM
I have 2 of these and love them!

Yes, they do need to be acclimated slowly like other inverts. It's recommended that they not come in contact with air, although I've read that other species are more sensitive to this...I didn't take a chance.

The spines aren't sharp like others but have more of a fuzzy feel to them. Good luck!

Paul B
06/08/2003, 08:51 AM
Do not take any urchin out of the water. I used to have an urchin collecting business and I took many of them out of the water with no ill effects but I guess it would make sence since their shells are full of tiny holes. Also I have gotten hundreds of their spines stuck in me, they hurt like hell but they disolve eventually. I am not sure about tuxedo urchins but the long spines are real hard to pick up no matter what you do. I always try to knock them into a container. To move them, try to knock them off the rock on the first try otherwise they will suck to the rock and you will have to wait a while to get them to relax. If you try to move them after they are disturbed you will tear off their tube feet.

Toutouche
06/08/2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks Tangelica,
I'm anxious to get it because it actually has red spines instead of the regular colored ones, and I've never seen this before although from reading about this, ther are apparantly different colors to the spines.

tangelica
06/08/2003, 09:03 AM
Great!...now I WANT A RED ONE!!!

Toutouche
06/08/2003, 09:09 AM
Thanks Paul B,
I guess all of my questions had the obvious answer, but I just wanted to confirm.

Tangelica,
Yesterday, someone mentioned they has a tuxedo with green spines.

Soccer
06/08/2003, 10:20 AM
Do you guys have any information on tuxedo urchins, maybe a link. They sound really interesting, are they reef safe? What are the tank requirements? ect....

Thanx for any help