PDA

View Full Version : Trying again: Radium color and SPS

photobarry
06/07/2003, 12:06 AM
The question is: I'm wondering what color your SPS corals really look like when using radiums. I ask this because every time I get a coral from someone and it was under radiums it looks quite brown to me in my tank and out of the water. I use 10000K Ushios and if you pull the coral out of the water or turn off the lights and look at them in natural lighting, the purple is purple the green is green and the yellow is yellow.

So does the radium artificially color the coral because the light is so blue, or does the coral REALLY look that color after being exposed to the lighting for a while.

I'm starting this thread over because I think it could actually be a really interesting discussion. That is, unless it gets derailed again.

Since I have no personal experience with Radiums I can't directly comment. Have any of you read Eric's comment in this month's science article review section of RK mag? He basically said that it is likely that coral color is all in the eye of the beholder. It seems that some people have experienced that SPS color is a function of the light that the coral is viewed under and others have seen that the coral's color is the same regardless of what light it is viewed under. This seems really interesting and if true means that something is going on that isn't completely understood. If so, this is something that really needs to be explored by sharing frags from a common colony and keeping them under different lighting and environmental settings and recording the results.