PDA

View Full Version : Salifert PH test's-time for a pin point

Ozzy
06/07/2003, 12:06 AM
Hello RC
I have been fighting a so called PH problem now for a month with reading as low as 7.5 +/-,so I started to pipe in fresh air and drip kalk ASAP along with my B-Ionic,ended up pushing my Cal up to 490,ouch.....with a alk of like 12.5-13,ouch..,I stopped dosing with the B-Ionic all together after that..
But still could not get a ph over 8.0,well tonight I pulled out an older bottle of the Salifert ph reagent and tested it right along side my newer bottle,well what do ya know
the older gave me a reading of 8.2,and the newer with a reading of 7.7-7.8,so I did this one more time and got the same reading:mad2: ,so I suppose it is time for me to get that pin point now..

melev
06/07/2003, 12:33 AM
Let Habib know in the Salifert (Vendor) forum.

Ozzy
06/07/2003, 12:37 AM
I already did,in fact he pm'ed me first asking for the batch number on the newer reagent

Ozzy
06/07/2003, 11:46 AM
now this is getting me a bit upset...
I tested again this morning with both reagents and got a 7.4,this is insane...
I have an alk of 8.6 with a cal of 440,I would like to bring my alk up a bit,but I dont think it is low enough to cause a ph swing from 7.4 to 8.2...or am I wrong on this,I'm on my way to my LFS to have them take a look at my params,this is nuts,I have been piping in air now for a month along with a steady drip of kalk 24/7,I would think I would have a good stable ph.....
any pointers ??????

MJB
06/07/2003, 12:07 PM
Unless you have some serious photosynthesis going on when the lights come up that seems unlikely. I read your other post to RH-F in the chem forum regarding excess CO2. Steps you've taken would seem to rectify that.Huge amount of algae growing? Top covered?--MJB

Ozzy
06/07/2003, 01:16 PM
well I just got back from my LFS and the numbers she gave me are
Cal=600.....this has got to be wrong
alk= 9 dkh
ph=8.2
I really dont think I have a cal of 600 ppm,I have been testing like every other day because of this problem.when i was dosing with B-Ionic and dripping kalk I pushed my cal up to 490 ppm,I have not dosed with B-Ionic for about a week now and the cal has been slowly dropping to now 440 ppm,and I showed my alk at 8.6 dkh.
I think for now I'll just keep an eye on my alk & cal,I'll order a pin point PH monitor in a few days and just go off of that,and maybe just add some washing soda if my alk gets to low,or just use the alk component of my B-Ionic.
and no I dont have a bad algae problem at all,I have a small amount of red hair algae on the back glass...and a bubble algae problem that I seem to be beating down

picture the reef
06/07/2003, 02:45 PM
Ozzie, Premium Aquatics has a deal going right now for Reef Central members on Pinpoint products.:D Check them out!

Ozzy
06/07/2003, 04:06 PM
ya $79.95,I have been eye balling them now for a few days

picture the reef
06/08/2003, 12:00 AM
Ask for the Reef Central deal when you call $69.95 for the ph monitor and $30.00 for extra probes. Not bad!:D

Ozzy
06/08/2003, 01:48 PM
do ya have to call it in to get the better deal ?????

picture the reef
06/08/2003, 09:23 PM
Ozzie, go to the Premium Aquatics section of the sponsors forum of Reef Central. Then got to the pinpoint group order thread and you will find a link for the special prices.:D