PDA

View Full Version : how much better is metal hilide?

scoops212001
06/06/2003, 10:49 PM
i hope i spelt it right. is it really worth getting, i have a 75 gal, and have two coral life lights in a regular fixture.

lebowski
06/06/2003, 10:52 PM
IMO and many others, metal halide is the way to go. They come in much higher intesities. They are just the best for corals.

You won't get half the intensity of a 250w bulb with even 300 w of pc or vho IMO.

wylie713
06/06/2003, 11:36 PM
scoops your lighting really depends on what type of system you are planning on keeping, if you are planning on keeping corals then i would def. suggest MH's, if you are going with a fish only tank then PCs are fine. my friend has a 75 reef with corals, and he is running 2 250 watt MH's and his corals are showing fantastic growth. what you def have to figure out first is what your plans are with this tank....good luck

ps lebowski---what happened to your other avatar??? i used to love that thing man, big lebowski is my fav movie!!! :rollface:

occb2
06/06/2003, 11:44 PM
I agree with Wylie713. If you want fish only, then stick to PC's make the fish look great. Even soft corals do well under PC's. But IMO, Clams and SPS's need MH'S. There is a store in Long Island that grows everything in PC's, but they move the coral so fast that I can't tell if thier theroy is correct that PC's are just as good as MH's. I've had them both and i can tell you that the coral growth is much faster and the SPS's just do better with MH's.

Later,
Rob