PDA

View Full Version : Starting a 110... Tap Water or RO/DI?

ms71171
06/06/2003, 10:04 PM
I'm setting up my new 110 and was wondering what most of you filled your tanks with initially. I know Copper is a major concern and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to used copper tested tap water instead of RO/DI.

Salted RO/DI is a buck a gallon at my LFS and not sure if its worth it to pay that much or could I just use filtered tap water and salt it myself.

JazzMan
06/06/2003, 10:09 PM
I would invest in and RO/DI unit. You dont just need to worry about copper, but everything else that is in the water. If you use Tap Water you will have problems down the road with phosphates and other items like unwanted algae blooms. :mad:

You can find decent RO/DI units on Ebay

chich
06/06/2003, 10:10 PM
If you are doing a 110 buy a RODI unit from Http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com. In the long run you will save money. for exampel lets say you bought a 100 GPD Oceanus from ARS, at $1.00 per Gallon from you LFS, you could pay for it in just two fillings from your LFS. Then Salt it yourselft Using IMO instant Ocean.

Well worth the Investment.

chich

kozmo02
06/06/2003, 10:12 PM
use RO/DI no matter what you have to do, if you use tap you will regret it....trust me, i know from experience from many years ago.

GSerg2
06/06/2003, 10:16 PM
I agree, use RO/DI water even for the first fillup. It will save you trouble down the road.

ms71171
06/06/2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by chich
If you are doing a 110 buy a RODI unit from Http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com. In the long run you will save money. for exampel lets say you bought a 100 GPD Oceanus from ARS, at $1.00 per Gallon from you LFS, you could pay for it in just two fillings from your LFS. Then Salt it yourselft Using IMO instant Ocean.

Well worth the Investment.

chich

Great prices on that site. Which one would be the best one to get for someone on a budget. Theres some value priced ones on there for about 159.00. Are those worth a crap or go for the better 4 stage system for 200.00 and up?

Newreeflady
06/06/2003, 10:38 PM
gee, um, that's a toughie;) lol!

Angela.

Newreeflady
06/06/2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by ms71171
Great prices on that site. Which one would be the best one to get for someone on a budget. Theres some value priced ones on there for about 159.00. Are those worth a crap or go for the better 4 stage system for 200.00 and up?

You're gonna want the 100gpd unit, it's only 199$, the oceanus. The other unit you speak of is only 50gpd, for your size tank, i'd get the larger one. It's only 40$ more, thats not bad.

Angela.

Newreeflady
06/06/2003, 10:44 PM
Forgot to mention, you might want to consider a drinking tap kit so that you can enjoy the water yourself. When I bought my unit, I got a tap kit and 4g tank with it from reefpure, and imo, it was worth the xtra $$ cuz I get good drinking water right from my sink. Also helps justify the costs with the family, if you have that issue:)

Angela.

chich
06/06/2003, 10:50 PM
I went with the 4 stage Oceanus, it has a pressure gauge that helps me adjust the output (I.E. the waste water, to pure water ratio) I would talk with them at ARS they are really responsive. They will even help you with the setup question over the phone. They are very nice people to work with. Mention they you are a member of this site and they will give you a 10% discount.
You will probably also want a TDS meter. I got one with my purchase. Cost $25 but better then the $39, when you are not buying a RODO unit from them :)

I think the 4 Stage would be fine; it can be upgraded to the Oceanus afterwards so I don't think you will go wrong with it.

HTH

Chich

maximus89
06/06/2003, 10:51 PM
q

maximus89
06/06/2003, 10:57 PM
Just bought one I got the 3 stage unit with tds meter and float

valve auto shutoff for 180 delivered. Best deal I have seen I am

going to get a add on di though my tds level is around 30 not to

bad but I am going to get a di anyway it should be hear monday

it was 38 extra my is a 75gpd and it makes all the water I can use

you may get a way with out a di if you get the tds below 20 you

should be alright!

hollywd
06/06/2003, 11:08 PM
I am in the process of filling my tank and after reading all the info here I decided to go with an RO/DI unit.

I found one on ebay from a company called Aqua-Safe. They have an ebay store, so they always have them.

Mine is 75 gpd and is 5-stage. I paid $90, plus shipping. The company is in Canada, and they shipped immediately (although UPS took forever!).

We did have to wrap a couple threaded connections with teflon to stop leaks. Not a big deal.

Orr2003
06/06/2003, 11:13 PM
NO TAP WATER

I used it ONCE, and that was just about a gallon to top off my 55g

Look on E-Bay, their are several good RO/DI units on there.

You can buy it now too. Still for a good price.

Any 4 stage RO/DI is better than TAP.

Scott

Agu
06/06/2003, 11:16 PM
I agree with Angela, get the drinking water kit ! My 75 gpd ro/di wouldn't get much use lately except that we drink/use a couple of gallons per day. Once the family gets used to an unlimited supply of quality drinking water the cost will no longer be an issue.

btw, use only ro/di for your reef, you won't regret it !!

Agu

occb2
06/06/2003, 11:26 PM
I would do the RO/DI. To much TDS in tap water and you'll get a very bad algea problem.

Later,
Rob