PDA

View Full Version : Question about having tank drilled, then installing overflow

Aaron1100us
06/06/2003, 09:14 PM
I'm serioulsy considering having my 29 gallon tank drilled so I can have a refugium and I really don't want to go with a hang on over flow. The pre drilled (reef ready) tanks I see have a plastic box cut out in one or two corners for the overflow and then there are the holes behind it. So, if I get my tank drilled, will I have to silicone some corner overflow in? Or does the water go directly into the bulkhead that is in the hole? If that is the case, what do you use as a screen to keep fish from getting in the bulkhead? I'm concerned that if I have to have one of those plastic things siliconed in the corner like the reef ready tanks, it will take up alot of space in my little tank. I'm moving at the end of this month and thought that would be a great time to have my tank drilled if that is a good idea. My main reason for wanting a refugium is heat control, just ordered my 400w halide today:) but I want to have a DSB with macro algea in there also. I would be ok with using another aquarium as a refugium right? If I do this, can I keep my fish and corals in a rubbermaid container with heater and powerhead for a few days while I get this all set up and get the sand storm down? Thanks:)

maximus89
06/06/2003, 09:46 PM
I havent herd of one with out at least a stand pipe. And there

is a good designed one on here a dorso. but all I have seen have

a overflow also. Do a search and see what comes up on dorso,

drilling glass,overflow. I would start there and then post your

most specific questions after you research that! And yes I would

put in a overflow after you have the bottom drilled but you are the

boss of your own world. I would look on the search for a sump or

refugium also if you plan on building one of those to!

Aaron1100us
06/06/2003, 11:39 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll do some more searching in the search area.

occb2
06/06/2003, 11:50 PM
Getting your tank drilled and putting a bulkhead on the top is fine. You will get a strainner and it will keep your fish from getting stuck to them, unless the fish is sick, it WILL NOT have the energy or power to swim buy it with out getting stuck to it. On a 29 Gal and overflow box will be over kill. Just go with the bulk head. Oh and a 400W for a 29 Gal? Major overkill. I hope you plan on keeping SPS's and Clams. keep them high above the water....you will cook your tank. I have a 150 RR and I have 2 400 W 10,000K and over 220 watts of PC's attinics and my tank runs in the low 80's, with fans blowing the heat out of the hood. So I can't even think of what it will do to a 29 Gal. Good luck.

Rob

Aaron1100us
06/07/2003, 12:10 AM
Ok, thanks. That was the part that I was confused about. Not knowing whether to drill a hole on the top and one on the bottom and construct an over flow box out of acrylic. I'll go for the bulkhead and some sort of screen. The 400 is going to be crazy but I want to get some acropora millepora and a clam or two. I plan on keeping the light about 18 inches off the top of the water or so adn lots of fans. If it is way too much, I'll just put the light on a bigger tank in the future. I'm going to have alot of evaporation but I'm hoping to get this refugium hooked up and have an auto top off on it.