PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Shells for Hermit?

TomV
06/06/2003, 08:32 PM
My Hermit Crab (Thinstripe) is constantly walking back and forth in the tank at a reasonably fast pace for a hermit. I have a feeling he might be outgrowing his shell and might need something bigger. He is constantly trying one of the shells I had in the tank, which is near the same size of his now, but is too heavy.

Petco sell shells here for $2.50 apiece. That's highway robbery to me for a SINGLE SHELL. Is there a place you can get a bag of shells or something like a lot??

iCam
06/06/2003, 08:33 PM
Try a hobby store. Or, next time you're at a beach, collect some good ones.

Nas19320
06/06/2003, 08:46 PM
I got some from a craft store. You could also try Saltwaterfish.com. They have 100 empty shells for $9.99.

ez1ez
06/06/2003, 08:57 PM
I go to the beach and find many shells. I wash them and put them in. they always upgrade and I have had no problems. Goodluck.

fishfarmer
06/06/2003, 09:36 PM
Try Michael's craft store.

ADHybrid
06/06/2003, 09:44 PM
Walmart craft section or your LFS. Buy something at your lfs and then ask them if you could have some of thier empty shells. They should be more than glad to give you some.

TomV
06/06/2003, 09:46 PM
EZ1EZ,

Yeah, I remember when my aunt and uncle took me and my cousins to Old Saybrook beach one time. The Hermits were EVERYWHERE at low tide!!

ez1ez
06/06/2003, 09:58 PM
during low tide if I go by the seawall there are thousands of hermits and nasarius snails. I was told by the LFS that they are dangerous hermits and the snails have infections....I dont know but I dont want to take the chance. I thought about it though. the long island sound is neat. I went diving out about 1 mile out the breakers in new haven harbor.....and I saw a trigger fish... believe it or not it was late july.. I was told that when the warm current comes through they can migrate up from the south... wild. I know I dumped a few blue damsels in the sound and they swam off.