PDA

View Full Version : So, I called Fulham regarding 80W T5's

05dr
06/06/2003, 07:35 PM
i basically want your thoughts on fulhams response. as many of you know fulham has now approved there workhorse ballasts for use with T5 HO bulbs despite industry research stating that they cause accelerated decay of expected lamp life expectancy. the two proposed mechanisms (as i understand them) are the overdriving of bulbs and the instant (ie. "rough") start "wear out" the bulbs prematurely. i specifically called them regarding whether or not a wh7 ballast would decrease lamp life if used to power 2 80W T5 bulbs citing this information.
his anwer was two part. first he stated that if using wiring diagram #9 the bulbs would not see the full 220W the ballast is capable of delivering. By only using 2 of the 4 possible power outlets the ballast would somehow adjust downward while somehow still musturing the wattage necessary to run the lamp. this emplies the ballast delivers more that 55W(220/4) to the bulb without delivering the full 110W(220/2). i don't really understand how this would work but even if the bulbs were overdriven to the ballasts maximum wattage it would only be by a maximum of 37.5%(30/80). ice cap is projecting bulbs lasting nearly 2 yrs overdriving them around 45-64%.
the second part of his reply regarded the instant start of the fulham balasts. he quoted what has previously been said on this board stating that a minimum of a 12 hr burn time should be used and that rapid cycling(like in a bathroom) would were out the bulb early. when i probed further he stated that the truth is that each bulb only has a set number of "starts" to begin with and that it is actually distinct of "lamp life" or the total number of hours a bulb will last prior to decreased light output and spectrum shifts to unacceptable levels. if you turn the bulb on and off repeatidly the bulb will wear out but not in the typical sense of changing spectrum and decreased output. he then stated that as long as the bulb is only turned on only once a day (almost irregardless of "burn time") the ballast should not cause early lamp failure.
although there is no exact anwer out there (these bulbs are just now getting real field use) i would love to hear some conjectures regarding actual loss in bulb life expectancy. i am not stating any of this to argue or contradict what others here have stated. i am only posting what seemed to be a little more detailed response from fulham regarding their ballasts. i would truly appreciate any thoughts or explanations yall have as i have not yet made my decision regarding lighting. i guess i need to admit this is not for a salt tank. i am actually a fw cichlid guy who want to add some plants to my tank which is 5'x2'x2' but i really didn't want to use between 4 and 6 t-8 bulbs after i figured it would end up costing the same for the t-8's as the t-5's if i used the fulham ballast. i did consider the programmed start ballast but there are none out for the 80W bulbs that i could find and using 4 ft bulbs would unecessarily push the price up. anyways, sorry for being so longwinded. to see pics of my tank with 80-120W of t12 lighting check out this link http://community.webshots.com/user/05doctor

moonpod
06/06/2003, 08:03 PM
Has fulham tested their ballasts with T5s or is this just what the dude thinks? The instant start ballasts and T5s comes from industrial lighting experience, BUT they don't say exactly what the quantifiable decrease in lamp life is. Now, the minimum 12 hr burn, personally I don't quite do it, but I'm sure there are many who are/would use these for actinic supplementation and do a 12 hr burn.

Anyway, the only real way to find out is for someone to do it and tell us about it in a year or two:D Personally, just b/c of ballast number issues, I'm going to use IC660's for my 8x80w array, but I'm definitely not sure at all if that's the "best" choice.

05dr
06/06/2003, 11:11 PM
yeah, they have definately tested them but i suspect not like the icecap people have and surely not for 2yrs or more. i didn't really push that with him though. i would be a lot more leary but fortunetly i have no need for the true actinic bulbs. i was planning on using one 11k 60/40 though. i guess i will just have to try it and find out.... only time will tell. thanks

leykis1o1
06/06/2003, 11:15 PM
can the WH7 at 110 power 4 - 55w power compact bulbs?

moonpod
06/06/2003, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I think so. You just have to split the 4 red leads so that you have 8 leads to plug into the PC endcaps on one side and string the yellow serially to the other side/half of the endcaps.

leykis1o1
06/06/2003, 11:19 PM
sorry one more question, could i add a switch to each bulb so i could control each seperatly while the balast is running?

moonpod
06/06/2003, 11:27 PM
No I don't think so. I think you can only turn the whole ballast on and off, the yellow leads are all connected, so I don't think that it'll work. There's only one set of power leads to the whole ballast.

leykis1o1
06/06/2003, 11:40 PM
no no , what if you ran a switch between the red wire running to each bulb?

moonpod
06/06/2003, 11:50 PM
I dunno, I don't think it'll work, but you won't know 'til you try. It might....I think that this ballast isn't so sensitive that one bulb not working keeps it from firing....ie it's not that "smart", so if you put a switch in there that just cut off the juice it might work.

Dennis7
06/06/2003, 11:51 PM
Yes you can run 4 - 55w pc's on that ballast. And yes you can run a switch off of each red wire to turn off each bulb, but your ballast would still be on.
Dennis

leykis1o1
06/06/2003, 11:54 PM
well what my idea is i want to run each bulb seperatly controlled from my aquacontroller..i will modify my x10 modules so they will act as a switch wired into each red leg of the balast...i want to do this to get a more smooth effect of sunrise and sunset and or passing clouds etc

Dennis7
06/06/2003, 11:54 PM
Sorry only 2 - 55w pc on that ballast, I don't know what I was thinking.

leykis1o1
06/06/2003, 11:56 PM
im just confirming what ive read here but ive read somewhere else you can run 4 - 55w ? maybe its a different fullham balast version??

Dennis7
06/06/2003, 11:57 PM
The x10 modules plug directly into the outlet, correct?
Can't do that with the ballast that way.
You need to run the juice through the ballast first.

leykis1o1
06/06/2003, 11:59 PM
ever open up a x10 module? ive tinkered with them and the wiring you can modify them to switch on any voltage you run through them with the proper re-wire internally on those things

Dennis7
06/06/2003, 11:59 PM
you can run 4-36w, 3- 55w, 2-96w.
Just checked the site.

Dennis7
06/07/2003, 12:00 AM
No I never had any exprience with the x-10 modules.

leykis1o1
06/07/2003, 12:03 AM
is that balast like 200 Watts of totall output? could you put 3- 55w and 1 - 36w?

Dennis7
06/07/2003, 12:03 AM
Do you have the neptune or octopus?
How do you like it?

Dennis7
06/07/2003, 12:05 AM
Well the math is a total of 201 watts. No sure but if you wire it correctly the worst should be that it doesn't fire the bulbs or that it don't give you their max. wattage.

Dennis7
06/07/2003, 12:09 AM
Just check again the max wattage on that ballast is 220w.
Don't know why they are saying that it would only fire 3-55w pc's.

leykis1o1
06/07/2003, 12:09 AM
i have a aquacontroller its awesome...i wouldnt be in this hoby without it...you can control up to like 36 different things if you wanted just by adding a 10 module you can get at home depot..the modules can bit a bit noisey ..you can allways here them working clicking...i wish they were solid state but that would make the prie jump way lots...there was a post on some other message board on how to do that..but its a great hassle...its has enough features that im happy...if you have an idea you can pretty much program it in..for the most part..it lacks a few things that im sure if its a good company will adress with future editions ..but yes i give it 2 thumbs up!!

did you get my other question above?

Dennis7
06/07/2003, 12:15 AM
That's cool! Something for me to consider in the future.
I would give it a try, the worst that can happen that it won't work.
Total max wattage is 220w and 4-55wpcs = 220w

leykis1o1
06/07/2003, 12:18 AM
whoa i didnt notice my sloppy spelling/typing sorry about that..argh

so you think it will run 4 -55w?

Dennis7
06/07/2003, 12:21 AM
I would give it a try.
My typing isn't that great either.

leykis1o1
06/07/2003, 12:25 AM
i was just checking there configuration list and its doesnt mention 4- 55w it does mention 4 - 50W ..well that leaves 20 un-used..i wonder if this is the manufacturer's way of pro-longing the life of the balast by running them short of there full potential?

Dennis7
06/07/2003, 12:30 AM
That could be their way. I would still give it a try. That ballast isn't that expensive, especially at pet supply liquidators.

jackel55
06/07/2003, 12:45 AM
Instant start ballasts, like the Workhorses, will wear out bulbs faster than other types of electronic ballasts. If you do some research online, you'll find this is the general consensus.

I personally would not use an instant-start ballast except with inexpensive bulbs or if I plan to leave the bulbs on 24/7 (like in a refugium).

leykis1o1
06/07/2003, 01:08 AM
there are different types of electronic balast? what is the best type of electronic balast i should be looking for?

fulham calls this balast a insta-start?

05dr
06/07/2003, 01:16 AM
a wh7 can run 4 55W PC bulbs. that is what the 4x55 kits from http://ahsupply.com/ use. although they rebadge them they definately use wh ballasts. as far as controlling each bulb individually i heard for whatever reason wh ballasts will not do this. not saying they can't, just what i have been told.

05dr
06/07/2003, 01:17 AM
plant people use the ahsupply kits and have reported NO loss in lamp life with the instant start ballasts. they all report great results.

a1
07/29/2004, 12:24 AM
the reason you canot switch 1/2 of the ballast off or one bulb at a time is the ballast is pushing 600 volts and it will ark across your switch. been there done that. yea when you try to turn the bulb off you here the switch frying and about 15 sec later the bulb turns off.