PDA

View Full Version : coral-vital

rleechb
06/06/2003, 06:30 PM
i got a free bottle of marc weiss coral vital. *** is this stuff? It doesn't say anything about its ingredients. Is it calcium? I'm already dosing b-ionic. I don't want to put too much calcium in.

kozmo02
06/06/2003, 06:34 PM
its a mix of several different things that are "supposed" to help aid in coral growth and replenish elements that naturally occur in the ocean, IMO its just more crap, i dont add any of those miracle worker chemicals at all, i think its all bogus, and i dont even spend my money on it. I do water changed with RO and Instant Ocean, and run a CA reactor, and im in the process of a kalkwasser auto-topoff, other than that, i dont add a drop of anything else.

rleechb
06/06/2003, 06:36 PM
yeah, i'm sure it's a load of bs. but it was a free load of bs, so i might as well dose some, lol.
:rollface:

Vincerama2
07/17/2003, 11:34 PM
I bought some Coral Vital based on the advice of an LFS guy. He is very knowledgeable and I trust him (he HATES that people get info from the internet! What-ev-ur!) anyway, he said that it has always worked for him to get RID of stupid algae. We'll see. I have an algae farm, and not the good stuff!

Dosing Kalkwasser has helped my coralline, this stuff is supposed to help coralline AND take nutrients away from nuisance algae. Maybe it will get a job and cook for me too, who knows.

Anyway, let's see if this stuff gets rid of algae. Otherwise I'll ahve to start doubting the LFS guy. (He seems honest and knowledgeable, not a typical "after school job at the fish store" type of guy).

V

lebowski
07/17/2003, 11:53 PM
I bought some Coral Vital based on the advice of an LFS guy. He is very knowledgeable and I trust him (he HATES that people get info from the internet! What-ev-ur!) anyway, he said that it has always worked for him to get RID of stupid algae. We'll see. I have an algae farm, and not the good stuff!

hehehehee...muahahahah!

I have a thread take a look around it's called

"Funny LFS experiences thread"

You better start doubting that guy cause that just made me crap my pants!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vincerama2
07/18/2003, 01:15 AM
Yeah, well, when I noticed that the bottle of Coral Vital that he was holding up was $20, I decided to order it off the net (along with a sump pump), but the smaller "cheaper" 6 oz bottle (10 bucks :( ). I'm willing to try it for 10 bucks to see if the algae really disappears.

However, when you read the label and see that it contains no "MEDICAMENTS". You have to think "well that's good, I hope it encouragimizes coralic growosity and helpifies the biggification of the coralline algisaments", which it should, since it is made of "enzymic -activated biological catalysts" or "aquatic biological enzyme catalysts". I wonder if Homer Simpson invented it, when he wasn't listening to Lisa play her "saxamapohone".

Anyway, at least if this stuff doesn't get rid of the algae, I can call "bullsh*t" on that LFS guy. And if it does work, or at least helps the algae situation (which might just clear itself up by itself anyway) then that's a good thing!

V

henkelsfamily
07/18/2003, 05:44 AM
All I can say is do a search for Marc Weiss

henkelsfamily
07/18/2003, 05:45 AM
PS. Can you say Apple Juice

rkeck
07/18/2003, 09:03 AM
I've used coral vital, and believe it's "safe to use". My understanding is it is basically keeping your system supplied with an easily usable source of iodide (or iodine?) and perhaps a few other beneficial trace elements ... which is good. I no longer use it, but I feel it is not necessarily a "snake-oil" gimmick, but perhaps not really necessary either if your using a good salt mix, and the system seems to be looking good, and "feels" good .... leave it alone and relax and enjoy it and buy your wife dinner with what you would have spent on a bottle of CoralVital.

Worth trying and seeing if you see any real benefits.

Wazzel
07/18/2003, 09:17 AM
I used one full bottle and did not see any added benifit. I think you would get the same results from regular water changes. IMO it is not worth the price you have to pay for it. If it was MUCH cheaper it migh be worth using.

boomerfish
07/18/2003, 09:57 AM
Just reading your chat about CoralVital. I have actually used it with some pretty good success - the corals are much bigger and open quicker, and generally everything seems happier. Its the only snake oil I use for my corals - Marine Snow, Bioplankton, and that. Just a thought.

Agu
07/18/2003, 10:17 AM
Read this to find out about Coral Vital,

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/data/foods.asp

hth,

Agu

slowjo
07/18/2003, 10:21 AM
I've been using coral vital for a few weeks and I've seen no benefits. But if you already have it, use it!!:cool:

Orochimaru
07/18/2003, 10:21 AM
I used it before and all I got is cyano..more than ususal....this was before reefcentral....and smell like apple juice too.

CalciumOverdose
07/28/2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by lebowski
hehehehee...muahahahah!

I have a thread take a look around it's called

"Funny LFS experiences thread"

You better start doubting that guy cause that just made me crap my pants!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, there are many honest and knowledgable fish store employees around, there is also a big percentage fo them being a member of reefcentral.
the problem is, which fish store do you go to.. :)

clarkyclown
07/28/2003, 05:49 PM
I did not have very much luck with coral vital.It seems to make corals close.I did have extreme success with similar product called marc weiss/ reef vital dna. I never seen corals open so big and full.It made all corals want to split and grow so fast i had to frag many.I know no one believe in this so called snake oil,but in my experience it made corals grow and colors are much better.It makes mushroom look full and grow to a large diameters in short time.You can believe what you want,but reef vital DNA in my take is a must.

thrlride
08/04/2003, 09:13 AM
My LFS recommended it to help combat cyano. I bought it and have dosed it twice now. I scraped the cyano off the glass but left the substrate alone. The cyano seems to be going away on the sand now so maybe it works. I've heard about the apple juice though...