PDA

View Full Version : Can't find my Conchs

rgrisoli
06/06/2003, 03:44 PM
I have two small fighting conchs in my 90 gal. They seemed fine for a few months, and were almost always visible. I have not seen either of them in almost a month. I have heard that they can go under the sand for days / weeks, but I'm now thinking the worst.
They did a great job of keeping the sand clean, but now my diatoms are comming back. Should I search for them under the sand?
Nothing in the tank has changed other than the addition of a fan to keep the lights cool as summer heat abounds.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Tennsquire
06/06/2003, 04:17 PM
they'll come back. I had one disappear for a few months, and he showed back up this week, looking huge. Of course, he comes back a week after I picked up another one to replace him.....

Meeko
06/06/2003, 04:23 PM
yep... I gave up on mine after disappearing for over a month. Then I was rearranging some rocks and happened upon him in the sand. Thought it was an empty shell and was about to chuck him when I saw his little eyes peering up at me! He's fine... sure to disappear again soon though.

scubagreg
06/06/2003, 04:49 PM
Sometimes they bury themselves in the sand. He'll make a showing. Mine does that all the time. I haven't seen it for weeks and then I'll be checking out the tank and find it peering it's eyes out of the sand. Good luck

karlas
06/06/2003, 05:42 PM
if i remember right they bury themselves in the sand when they hit there growth spurts. there shell may look rough and dull but after they do this there shell is shiny and smooth.

rgrisoli
06/06/2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks gang. I hope they appear soon. I've read that they sometimes hide out for a while, but didn't know how long. All other snails seem fine so I couldn't think of a reason for them to have died. I hope you all are right.
Thanks