PDA

View Full Version : How do a snip off frags?

Kengar
06/06/2003, 12:44 PM
I could probably do a search for the answer but am in a bit of a time crunch right now.

How do I break off a frag? Tin snips or wire cutter, and just cut off a branch? Should I cover the break of the site with anything afterward to protect it? If so, what?

Thanks.
Kengar (a.k.a. The Looney One!)

Rock Anemone
06/06/2003, 12:46 PM
What are you trying to make a frag of?

Rock Anemone:D

Kengar
06/06/2003, 01:00 PM
a couple pieces of acropora. different species. one is a table top, one is more ball-shaped, with branches growing pretty much straight upward. Nothing too fragile.

Rock Anemone
06/06/2003, 01:06 PM
Usually people just break a few piece off. However, if you want to do is cleaner and make sure you frag only the part you want to, use some stainless steal scissors or cutters.

Rock Anemone
06/06/2003, 01:08 PM
Check out http://www.garf.org/ for more information on propagating corals and how to and what tools you need. They even include movies.

Tennsquire
06/06/2003, 01:09 PM
I've snapped them off with my fingers before, as well as with needle nose pliers and wire cutters. I picked up a dremel a little while back, and it's very handy with a cutting wheel attached (provided you can get what you want to frag out of the tank for the procedure). Not necessary to cover it with anything. Just make sure it gets decent flow, and it will heal over in no time.

Mako
06/06/2003, 01:12 PM
I do it in multiple ways depending on the coral. My favorite is with my hands....just sight the piece and break it off. This only works well with the more brittle ones though as you tend to crush too many corlites with your fingers if you have to excert a lot of pressure.

Next favorite would be my monster dykes. (Diagonal-Cutting Pliers) And if the coral is really dense then I go for the ol diamond wheel on the dremel.

I don't cover the break with anything although I do know some that will use SG on this area. Coral in good health will heal the point of breakage fairly fast.

Kengar
06/06/2003, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll pull the pieces out and either Dremel some frags or use needle nose pliers to snap them. Flow is good, and the corals are healthy.
Ken.