PDA

View Full Version : Animal discharges in the water

dave8274
06/06/2003, 11:05 AM
Ok I am getting a couple of different kinds of substanced discharging in the water and was wondering what they were.

1. My lawnmower blenny every now and then seems to vomit. All sorts of brown chunks spew from his mouth and up into the water. Whats the deal with that?

2. This one i have no idea where it comes from. Every now and again I see a thin, whiteish, translucent film floating around. Sort of like sheets of it. It looks almost like cigarette smoke does in the air, but it is solid. I saw it once clinging to a snail shell, but I don't know if that is where it came from. Any ideas?

budhaboy
06/06/2003, 11:09 AM
no idea about your Algae Blenny, but as for #2, do you have leathers in the tank? Leathers shed their mucus layers to expell waste, and it usually looks like what you described.

dave8274
06/06/2003, 11:10 AM
No leathers... Only corals so far are a star polyp, a pineapple something or other, and a frogspawn.

Xtrakritical
06/06/2003, 11:27 AM
In my tank I have a few worms that spew out what looks like a ploom of smoke from the rocks they hide in... maybe waste from the food they scavange off my L/R not sure, but my damsels go after it, and it breaks up and dissapears pretty quick.

Maybe u need a bit more current/flow in ur tank?

your blenny does it gobble up ur sand/gravel to make a hide out maybe u caught the end of that? otherwise Ive never seen one puke!?!?
Is it eating?

dave8274
06/06/2003, 11:35 AM
No it picks at the live rock and sand for diatoms. Maybe it gets a belly full of sand and has to get rid of it.