PDA

View Full Version : Fire Shrimp Dead??????

discoverstyle
06/06/2003, 09:55 AM
Confused here, I have a banded shrimp and a fire shrimp in my tank bought together 2 weeks ago, never had a problem with them, then this morning my fire shrimp is dead??????? Did my banded shrimp get a 45.00 dollar meal?????? Or could it be a hithiking crab from off of my live rock, I know hes in there, not hairy, about as big as a nickle or so??????? I didnt think he would hurt anything? Was I wrong? Thanks You Friends here have been so helpful!!!!!!!

gophia
06/06/2003, 09:59 AM
Chances are the coral banded shrimp killed the a fire shrimp. The Coral banded shrimp has hugh claws and can be intolerant of others of the same species or other "wimper" shrimps like the fire shrimp.
Sorry for your expensive loss.

RUFISHY2
06/06/2003, 10:00 AM
Neither one of thos guys are particulary fond of sharing space. $45.oo for a fire shrimp?.....ouch!

TimV
06/06/2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by RUFISHY2
Neither one of thos guys are particulary fond of sharing space. $45.oo for a fire shrimp?.....ouch!

My fire shrimp has no problem with the two cleaner shrimps he has as tankmates. They all hang out together.

But from my reading, I would also assume it was the coral banded. They are notorious for killing other shrimp.

T

Cakepro
06/06/2003, 11:47 AM
Yikes, I guess my coral banded shrimp will need a new home. He lives with two fire shrimp, two cleaner shrimp, and two pistol shrimp. I really like him, though, and he takes mysis shrimp right out of my hand (the others do too). :(

~ Sherri

RUFISHY2
06/06/2003, 04:14 PM
I meant the coral banded or the hairy little hitchhiker (most likely a shame face) Sorry that wasn't very clear. Fire Shrimp are very peaceful.

Lazyreefer
06/06/2003, 05:20 PM
The Fire shrimp could have just died. I have purchased 3 and have never seen them. Once I saw 1 like a year after I put him in the tank. I saw him for about 10 seconds. I think he cost about $3 a second. If you saw yours for 5 days you got a bargaign.

karlas
06/06/2003, 05:49 PM
with a cbs you might as well consider it as your only type of shrimp. the only other chance of another shrimp is if you can find it a mate. in most cases people have lost cleaner, fire and peppermints to cbs

Lazyreefer
06/07/2003, 01:07 PM
I always have a cbs and a cleaner together. I have never seemed to have a problem.
However, I have had problems with Sally Lightfeets