PDA

View Full Version : crazy about clams?

traip93
06/06/2003, 09:46 AM
I’m new to the hobby and I’m wondering what the big buzz about clams is/are?

Is it that they are hard to keep and if one is able to keep a clam than they have reached the reefing pinnacle?

Is it their beauty?

Do they do tricks? Produce pearls?

Do they provide a specific benefit to a reef tank?

Are they new to the hobby? I know they tase damn good, but I've never eaten a blue clam

Maybe I’ll acquire a desire to have one in the future, but right now they do little for me….maybe the answers to the above questions will help me understand the clam craze.

Don't get me wrong some are striking, but so are several lower maintenance corals. Just wondering......

STEP UP AND DEFEND YOUR CLAMS!!!!

johnrags1234
06/06/2003, 09:56 AM
They are gorgeaous. I have 7 in my 58g. They are an awesome compliment to a sandbed.

They are not difficult to keep so long as their needs are met, they require a stable tank with high calcium and alkalinity as well as intense lighting. That is also the setting that my tank falls under as it focuses on SPS corals.

They can be challenging, especilly the wild caught ones. They are also susepticle to parisites, mainly pyramidial snails.

They have been kept for a while but more and more people are keeping them now that their needs are much better understood.

They dont do tricks, but can move across the sand, 'jump' of of rocks and they can 'pump' the sand of of their mantle by quickly closing and opening.

They dont produce pearls.

To each his own. Personally, I respect the beauty of soft and lps corals, however my tank is devoted to SPS. I find their challange and beauty alluring.

FWIW
John:)

KorbinDallas
06/06/2003, 10:14 AM
Have you seen a blue maxima in person?

traip93
06/06/2003, 12:32 PM
yeah, i've seen them...not too often, they are neat looking.