PDA

View Full Version : Do I need 2 pH Monitors on a system with a Calcium reactor ?

mirski57
06/06/2003, 08:56 AM
I'm trying to understand this a little.
I'm looking at pH Controllers and pH Monitors.

I know with a Calcium reactor, you need a special lower pH in the 6.5 range; And naturally, your main system will be around 8.1.

With a pH controller, would I want to monitor the sytem's pH or the reactor's pH ?

If I monitor the reactor's pH then I will want a second Monitor to monitor my main system ?

I think I'm just overlooking something here.
Thanks,
Mirski57

Uncle Luke
06/06/2003, 09:18 AM
No not at all. You only need one monitor. You can use it to monitor the ph in your sump and when you need to check the reactor's Ph, just pull the probe and get a small cup and stick the probe and reactors output water in the cup and you can read the ph that way... Sounds confusing maybe, but that's what I do. By the way, if you can afford it, you might be better off getting the controller instead of the moniter, It's like 70 bucks more, you'll probably be better off in the long run.. Hope this helps and good luck...

vinman
06/06/2003, 10:40 AM
I have a controller to automatically monitor my effluent for 6.5 then open or close the C02 gas as needed. If I wanted to check my tanks PH, I just pull it out of the effluent cup and just put it inthe sump water to see what it is. You don't need 2 ph monitors.

Just use 1 !

mirski57
06/06/2003, 10:59 AM
So If I go with the Controller option....I'm going to monitor the main system pH in the sump, and control my electronic selnoid valve that way.

So If I wanted to be foolish....I could have a "Controller" monitor my main system and control my reactor.

Then for grins and giggles..I could have a "Monitor" on my Reactor ?

If it matters, I have a K2R reactor.

Thanks for the replies.

vinman
06/10/2003, 12:50 PM
See, my reply to this post!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199572

Basically, you want to monitor the effluent, not the main tank!