PDA

View Full Version : Help Me with getting Stable Salt Level

lightningaccess
06/06/2003, 08:33 AM
I added salt to a new tank yesterday and I have powerheads mixing the saltwater contiuneiously. Each time I test the salt levels it between 1.024 and 1.028. That's a big gap.

also, why are the levels higher if I test closer to bottom?

Aaron1100us
06/06/2003, 08:37 AM
YOu shouldn't be adding salt directly to your tank. Mix the water in a container at the same temp as your tank water. What salt do you use? It takes a while for the salt to mix. What SG are you trying to get to? 1.025 is pretty good if you want corals. The levels are higher at the bottom because it sounds like you put salt directly into your tank and it has settled down there even though you have power heads going.

lightningaccess
06/06/2003, 08:49 AM
I'm using Red Sea Salt. I have a 75 gallon. The dumb**** as the LPS told me since it was a new tank to fill up the tank and add the salt.

What now? Do I whip out a big spoon and start stirring?

Thanks

Vert20
06/06/2003, 09:00 AM
For lack of another term, yes get out the big spoon. Actually locate your power heads low in the tank and aim them at the bottom. I am assuming of course youdon't have sand or rock work in there yet.

lightningaccess
06/06/2003, 09:06 AM
correct, there's nothing else in the tank. I dropped them down and I'll stir it up in a few. If the salt level is still high I assume that I remove a gallon or so of sw and replace it with freshwater? if this is right then how long after until I test again?

Vert20
06/06/2003, 10:07 AM
You are correct about the way to bring it back down.

Wait about 20 mins, or enough time to circulate the tank. You should be able to see "wavey areas" when the water is not well mixed. Those are areas where the salinity is different than the surrounding water.

Another way, would be to drain the tank into a holding bin, then ensure that the Specific Gravity is correct and refill the tank.

lightningaccess
06/06/2003, 11:27 AM
I'm now at 1.025 but I still see a few very light wavey lines.

think I'll be ok?

Rick

Vert20
06/06/2003, 12:05 PM
Then it's not mixed fully. Give it some more time and "stirring"

ENS
06/06/2003, 02:22 PM
Last year when I set-up a new tank I had the same issue at first -- I filled the tank with fresh water and leak tested everything for several days before adding the salt. I added the salt by just pouring in bags of it slowly and testing the SG level. The easiest way to mix it was to have two powerheads on opposite sides of the tank, both at the very bottom blowing across the bottom. This kept the salt from settling and mixed well over night.

Also remember, even though nothing is in the tank, make sure you have the water heated to the desired temp when adding salt since temp affects SG level. If the SG is at say 1.26 at 72 deg, than it will be way to high at 80 deg.

Congrats on a new tank.
Cheers.

isildursbane
06/06/2003, 02:31 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the SG is at say 1.26 at 72 deg, than it will be way to high at 80 deg.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little lower?

lightningaccess
06/06/2003, 03:11 PM
WOW, thanks! the water temp is 70 right now and I'm leaving for a week, while on my way back I was going to stop and get a load of Live Sand. Good thing you guys said something, I'd just come home and dumped it right in. killed everything too:(

I'm running down to my OVERPRICED LPS to pick a heater up.

isildursbane
06/07/2003, 01:21 PM
Most Large Polyp Stonys are overpriced, but mine never have heaters :-):rollface:

I did not even realize you are in Live Oak, I am in Gainesville, and I have relatives in Dowling Park. We drive through Live Oak all the time. Gainesville has some pretty good stores, you should check them out.

Salt'n'Lime
06/07/2003, 01:28 PM
Yeah , the tank temperature will definately have an effect on the ability of salt to disolve.

My salinity is a bit low and I am replacing evaporated water with fresh salt water via a drip to slowely bring it up from 1.22 to 1.25 .

lightningaccess
06/07/2003, 05:36 PM
Next time you drive to dowling park you should stop by and see the tank. It's in our office at Lightning Access, downtown Live Oak.