PDA

View Full Version : How many snails?

Uran
06/06/2003, 06:02 AM
Hey i have just finished cycling my 75Gal, I now need some snails as i can see some diatom algae growing on my glass. I am having lots of trouble finding snails of any sort where i live but today in found a supplier for Trochus niloticus snails. Are these any good and how many shoud i get? They are about 25-40mm shell diameter and cost $5.70 each.

teknopanda
06/06/2003, 03:34 PM
trochus snails are awesome but i never heard of anyone paying that much for them.

look online for better deals and quantity.

Holyreefer
06/06/2003, 04:11 PM
teknopanda, I AGREE

Uran don't pay that much for some snails.
I mean i haven't heard of that type either but i know for a fact you can get some for a cheaper price. I really don't remember how much they are here but i do know that they usually have pretty good deals on their inverts the sites is: www.aquatictech.com

Hopefully i helped a little:D :)

newkie
06/06/2003, 04:35 PM
try www.reeftopia.com

Uran
06/06/2003, 05:35 PM
Ok heres the problem, i live in Australia, and i dont think anyone will ship Livestock here form abroard. I have ordered 6 of these snails, i will have to get more l8ter, but atm i cant justify spending anymore money on snails.

karlas
06/06/2003, 05:54 PM
i think trouchus snails are great there alge eating machines. when i had a case of hair alge these guys cut through it like little lawnmowers and they eat film alge also.

teknopanda
06/06/2003, 07:55 PM
bar none trochus are THE BEST. they eat fast, constantly moving, and they can flip themselves over when they fall and get upside down. so no hermit opportunities and no starving to death.

AcroSteve
06/07/2003, 06:52 AM
I have a 90 and have 9 Mexican Turbos and 10 regular torbos and at least 14 Cerith snails.

There is a big difference in the personality of the Mexican turbos. Some of them are ver slow moving and do not appear to eat very much. Some of them are quite active and fast. The first 5 I put in the tank did not make much impact. I got 4 more from somewhere else, these are the much more active ones. Now I am thinking that 9 of these might be too much.

The smaller Astrea Turbos are not quite as active, but they are steady feeders.

ez1ez
06/07/2003, 06:59 AM
check out www.justphish.com They have everything at great prices. Everything arrives alive and he ships fast. Goodluck