PDA

View Full Version : Cucumbers ?

Wheeljackslab
06/06/2003, 03:07 AM
1. I have a pink cucumber I thought these things lived in on on the sand bed. I thought it would clean the sand bed, mine spends ALL it's time circling the top of the tank, litterally the tank rim. My concern is eventually it will die of starvation, since I can't imagine what is so great to eat at the top of the tank rim (or am I missing something), and if there is anything I can do about it?

2. I also have a yellow cucumber, my wife bought it and I did not want it, as one cucumber was enough, as I would hate to have one die in the tank, anyway, this kind is a filter feeder, easy enough use DT's, do that anyway. PROBLEM, I found mine this morning slit in TWO PIECES!!!! Now at first I was very alarmed, and was reaching for my net, BUT I got to thinking, A. it looks natural, it is not bitten in half, it is neat and tiddy not wounded B. it is not decaying and C. it might be a mode of reproduction. Any thought on this, and if it is reproduction, how long till they come out of it and are they vulunerable during this time?

Desolas
06/06/2003, 06:47 PM
What kind or size of sand bed?

Typically they will half burrow into the sand and sift through the top layer. It should be consuming sand, and clean sand should be coming out of it. If it is doing it at the top of the sand bed it very well may be finding enough detritus to consume at the surface level ... but if your sand bed is too large, too sharp, or not natural to it's original surroundings it will not borrow into the sand.

So say if you have a shallow sand bed of crushed coral or quartz, it probably will not burrow and will most likely waste away.

As for the other, I don't know. There are many types that could be called a yellow cuke. Is it a cucumber, or a nudibranch? Often asexual reproduction can happen with nudibranchs. If it appears to still be fleshy I would leave it alone and see what happens, but without a picture and an ID of it you'll just get guesses and general information for the most part. Also very commonly animals like this have a short life span, 6 months to a year, so it could be breaking apart. Again, hard to tell.

iCam
06/06/2003, 06:56 PM
I too have a cuke that is pink....well hot pink and hot green to be exact. It also stays at the top. I believe they just filter feed. Mine always stays in the same spot, and I have had it for over a year.

Wheeljackslab
06/06/2003, 06:57 PM
Well on the pink, by top of the tank, I mean top by the lights!! Arounf the top rim. He is not eating one grain of sand. I have sugar sand, not sure what brand, or from where. Can I remove him from top of tank, and put him back down there? Without stressing him out? Any food I could feed him to get him started?

On the yellow this is what it is
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=715

It looks fine today same as yesterday surely if this was not natural he'd be deteriorating by now? I really wish my wife had not bought it, but need to let the wife have her items too.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

iCam
06/06/2003, 07:00 PM
Here's the one I mentioned in my post. He likes to stay next to the heater.