PDA

View Full Version : How long for bta to take "FOOT"????

texan6
06/06/2003, 12:43 AM
Just wondering how long it will take for my new bta to take foot. I have 3 mj1200s running on a red sea wave maker. I unplugged all three for several hours after I put it into the tank, but it's still sitting ontop of the sand opened up and just kinda moving on it's foot. I wanted to restart my wave maker, but when I do the bta just gets kicked around in the current. I don't want it to get injured so I pulled the plug on the wave maker again, but didn't want the tank to stay still for too long, does it just take it awhile to bury it's foot in the sand? What should I do? :confused:

barebottoms
06/06/2003, 12:48 AM
Well the biggest problem is that BTA's do not bury their foot in the sand. So you'll be waiting a long time.

They like to have their foot in a cave/ crevice in the rock.

Miller357
06/06/2003, 12:48 AM
Shouldn't take to long, I would put a rock under the sand for him to grab on to.

texan6
06/06/2003, 01:06 AM
fwiw it is light pink in color w/ green tips. will it get enough light on the sand on top of a rock for an anchor or does it need to go a little higher up on the reef I have 440 of actinic lighting half white half blue

Miller357
06/06/2003, 01:08 AM
It should be enough light, if not it will move to get more. Keep and I out, you don't want it getting to close to other corals.

Miller357
06/06/2003, 01:11 AM
Should have stated, I have mine under 4 96watt PCs, 2 white, 2 03. Mine is right on the bottom right now.

Sorry for the dirty glass.
Warning, large pic

Pic (http://www.smartfishes.com/photos/posts/DSC01672.JPG)

texan6
06/06/2003, 01:39 AM
Cool!! looking good!! yeah I didn't want to let him on the "wall" and have access to the corals I just tried both sides of a fist sized piece of rock and the little bugger won't take hold!!! Getting frustrated need to shut the lights off and let every thing go to night mode, but didn't want to leave it just bouncing along:eek1:

barebottoms
06/06/2003, 01:45 AM
They like to have their foot IN a cave/ crevice in the rock.

If you get a piece of rock and with a hole in it big enough for the foot to go it, it will stay there.

They like moderate flow and a good amount of light to reach for while keeping their foot shaded.

Anemones are pretty delicate creatures and sometimes hard to keep. Researching after you bought 2 different species doesn't properly prepare you for them.

texan6
06/06/2003, 02:14 AM
barebottoms, I appreciate your suggestions and will try to utilize them. I didn't appreciate the tone though, a little out of line though I see the previous post has been changed. I work nights so this is when I can post my questions. I understand some bta basics, but was just looking for a little extra help to get him stabilized. I only bought one today in a rush because my clowns were harassing my elegance coral that has been doing well, and I didn't want that to continue.
The rock anemone was a splurge. Don't tell me you haven't picked up something you weren't always fully educated on before purchase. My lfs owner who is a trusted friend recommended it as a very hardy species and good addition at a good deal $10.

Monster_13
06/06/2003, 04:39 AM
My lfs owner who is a trusted friend recommended it as a very hardy species No anemone is very hardy, they are all difficult, some are just less difficult than others, and very very very few lfs are trustworthy.