PDA

View Full Version : tank on carpet or cement floor what is better?

corey lance
06/06/2003, 12:14 AM
I'm putting my tank in the basement. should I put a small carpet to fit under my tank or not?

Thanks

Python73
06/06/2003, 02:34 AM
Are you talking about the stand? If so, I'd skip the carpet, they are a PITA under a tank stand. If you are for some reason putting a tank on the ground (say, for a sump) I'd put it on some wood or carpet to insulate the bottom pane from the cold floor. You don't HAVE to, it'll just keep you from heating the water more.

HTH.

S !

arcab4
06/06/2003, 02:51 AM
i would skip the carpet. my buddy's tank is on carpet and dude..that thing is not stable at all.

corey lance
06/06/2003, 09:44 AM
yeah im talking about a stand on carpet. I was just going to use a thin carpet no padding I thought it would level it out if it is not already level. I havent checked yet.

So from the looks of things I should not use carpet. Is there reasons for this? thanks
Corey

traip93
06/06/2003, 09:56 AM
i have my 120 in my dinning room, I have it on the main carpet and I put a large bathroom type carpet(rubber bottom) over the main carpet and under the stand...does that make since?

it works fine, tank is level etc.....

for a smaller tank though I could see how it could make it unstable.....

I guess the main thing it that the tank remains level..eaither way you choose

corey lance
06/06/2003, 10:04 AM
thanks its a 90g with stand I was going to use carpet for the look of it. I dont mind putting it right on the floor. Maybe I will put it on the floor and see how level it is.

Any other reasons to use or not to use?

sea-horsea
06/06/2003, 10:06 AM
i just got a 65 gal. 36x18x24 and I am going to put it in the living room on the carpet. I also wonder if I should be something on it or just sit on the carpet. Oh and is a stand :P

Agu
06/06/2003, 10:32 AM
I would go out of my way to not put a tank on carpet. The stand for my ten gallon is on carpet (temporarily) and even though the stand is about 20" deep I still had to bolt it to the wall.

In addition if (when ;) ) you have a flood carpet doesn't dry out very well. Mold, mildew, and rot could be a real problem on damp carpet.

jmo,

Agu

traip93
06/06/2003, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't put it directly on the carpet, put down a bathroom type mat under the stand liek I did, I have it only sticking out about an 1-2" around the entire stand......If you put it directly on the carpet, you'll ruin the main carpet in that spot from all the water spills...if you can't find a made carpet to fit the size you are looking for, many stores sell that stuff on a roll so you can buy the exact size you need...

electric130
06/06/2003, 12:53 PM
i live in a new house. i just stuck my 90 right on top of the carpet in the living room. it's not unstable at all. i know because i've bumped into it several times, pretty hard too, and it didn't budge. i did though:mad2: