PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled Power outage... what to do?

Mnementh
06/05/2003, 11:07 PM
I was notified today that the power company is scheduling a power outage for about 4 hours each day on monday and wednesday next week. Does anyone think my tank will be fine for that long without power?

90 Gallon acrylic
20 Gallon sump
1 Hammer Frag
1 Torch Frag
1 Button Polyp Frag
2 Firefish
2 Clown fish
1 Neon Goby
2 Cleaner Shrimp
a mess of snails
2 Fighting conchs
3" DSB

Anyone in the SoCal area know a store that carries the battery powered air pumps? I think I'll try to get my hands on one of them for water circulation / gas exchange, and get to Home depot to get some styrafoam insulation to cut to fit around the tank to retain heat.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

-M

bowfront
06/05/2003, 11:47 PM
You can get battery operated air pumps at any bait & tackle or boating supply store. One or two with good airstones is all you need for 4 hour stretches but you will have to be home to turn them on. You can't rig these on a timer. They do make air pumps that automatically switch from AC to DC when the power goes off but you would have to track one of those down at an aquarium outlet. I definitely would have some kind of circulation/air plan for a 4 hour outage.

skattabrain
06/05/2003, 11:53 PM
what to do???

scramble and get yourself a small gas powered generator... or some kind of power source.

man, that stinks! i'd be ripped if my power company told me that.

you live in cali?

MarksReef
06/05/2003, 11:58 PM
This is what I have heard others suggested in the same situation. call you power company and tell them your situation and they may bring you a generator.
Hey a call won't hurt.
good luck.

Tadashi
06/06/2003, 12:01 AM
Will you be around during that time? You could go to Home Depot and get the 400-watt AC/DC power converter for you car to run some power heads for circulation. Since it is during the summer you should not have to worry about heaters and the tank will be fine for 4 hours without filtration and lights.

skattabrain
06/06/2003, 12:01 AM
yeah... tell them the about the investment

Mnementh
06/06/2003, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I live in Cali... land of the worst power grid in the world. They need to take my grid offline to they can replace something. I will try giving them a call and see if there is any way I can get power. I didnt even think of that.

Unfortunately I will be at work during those times. I was going to take off if it was only 1 day, but I cant take off 2 days. :(

I'll get the bubbles going and my house is usually around 80 during the day, so hopefully they are true to the 4 hour claim.

[fingers crossed]

FijiMojo
06/06/2003, 12:51 AM
If it was me I would get a generator. Used even... You will NO DOUBT use it in the future.