PDA

View Full Version : electronic or magnetic ballasts?

chinaboy1021
06/05/2003, 10:14 PM
how can you tell? i bought some NO Fluorescent fixtures, that are 2 years old. they are the ones avaiable at the LFS for a very high price when new. but im not sure about the technology back 2 years ago. I'm not sure if i can stick t-8s in there. i read on a website that t-8s can only go in electronic ballast.

can anyone fill me in?
thanks

maximus89
06/05/2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by chinaboy1021
how can you tell? i bought some NO Fluorescent fixtures, that are 2 years old. they are the ones avaiable at the LFS for a very high price when new. but im not sure about the technology back 2 years ago. I'm not sure if i can stick t-8s in there. i read on a website that t-8s can only go in electronic ballast.

can anyone fill me in?
thanks

What are you asking here? Put them in there see if they fire. If they are NO i doubt they require a e-ball. I think you have to hve the right end caps I dont think they will work in t-12 caps I could be wrong you might be able to test them in there a least!

chinaboy1021
06/05/2003, 10:29 PM
i guess it wont hurt to test.

maximus89
06/05/2003, 10:52 PM
JUST out of curiosity what are you using them on. I dont recall

seeing a profile on your tank but If it was me and the expence

that a hobbist spends on good bulbs you may want to consider

upgrading your lighting no bulbs cost the same as vho. And vho

or pc you could get 2x55w pc retro kit for 109 bulbs e-ballast

clips and retro reflector end cps water proof, and the answer to

your ques about e-ballst or magnetic/coil the e-ballast weighs

about half what a magnetic/coil weighs or more

chinaboy1021
06/06/2003, 12:05 AM
i can estimate that each of the double tube fixtures is a good 10 pounds. i dont have any other fixture of the similar size to compare to.

as to what im using them for, i currently dont own any aquarium. these lights were intended for my fw setup.

when i get my reef setup, i will be sure to go with MH. ive been reading around so i know most NO bulbs cant keep up a reef.

thanks