PDA

View Full Version : My feather duster lost his duster

Fliger
06/05/2003, 08:54 PM
I've never had big feather dusters. Tonight when I got home I noticed my big FD lost his head! I have no idea what these things look like inside the 'caccoon'. Anyway, it looks like the feather part is alive, it wiggles like a worm. I picked up his 'home' to put him in & realized that something is still very alive in there.

So what is going on? Do they shed their head? Or is he multiplying? Or is he injured?

What do I do?

Thanks,

David

Rock Anemone
06/05/2003, 08:57 PM
It will grow back over time, just don't bother it.

When the head falls off, it means there is lack of elements in the water that it needs. Try dosing phytoplankton and other filter feeding foods.

Rock Anemone:D

Fliger
06/05/2003, 09:04 PM
Well that's not good. I dose DT's twice a week. I feed that Formula Invert food once a week & plenty of mysis dust from my fish. All tank parameters are very good (my SPS are happy).

Is there anything else that could bother it other than lack of nutrition & good water quality?

Man, these suckers move fast. When I pick him up (the caccon) and he pulls back inside it pulls my hand back.

David

Rock Anemone
06/05/2003, 09:06 PM
Hmmm, sounds like you're doing a good dosing job. Maybe there's a fish or vritter picking at it. I'd keep an eye out.

Try doing a search on "Feather duster lost crown" "feather duster lost head" etc etc... I believe there are some good threads discussing the issue.

mirski57
06/05/2003, 09:42 PM
I had this problem with a large Hawaiian Feather Duster. It thought it died, yet I left it there anyway. A couple of weeks later, I saw new feathers peeping out. Couple of weeks later, it was just as big as it ever was. Never did find out what caused it to lose it's feathers though.

torrid
06/05/2003, 09:50 PM
ive been told that they blow off there heads also when they are growing, unless hes being picked on i wouldnt worry about him. they are awesome i have 2 my self.

afishybusiness
06/05/2003, 10:12 PM
They do shed their head. All is well in feather duster land! :beachbum:

Rock Anemone
06/05/2003, 10:17 PM
Also, just to let you know. Shedding does mean that there is a lack of food source. Does the tob of the worm look a bit ripped? Did you spot the crown around the tank? What condition was it in?

Here's some good information on keeping them: http://www.dtplankton.com/Feather_dusters.htm

reefcrazy00246
06/05/2003, 10:47 PM
I think feather dusters do this when they are stressed too. like from being moved maybe...did you just get it/how long have you had it???? I bought a feather duster and it went WACKO:hmm4: after i put it in my tank. It shed its "feathers" and even took off into the rocks. I did see him in the rocks a few weeks later, but that was the last time...i dunno what happened to him after that.

Jason

guitarfish
06/08/2003, 09:48 AM
I have three FDs, one lost it's crown last night, and it looks like a second FD may do the same. I believe this was stress related. I have a 28g, yesterday I removed 5g. I mixed up new water/salt, let it sit for an hour or two, then added in about 1/2 g every 1/2 hr. This is what I usually do.

After adding about 2g, I noticed the feathers on the FD were no longer straight at the ends, but appeared to be curling inward. I'd never seen this, and feared something was wrong. The water temp, salt, & ph of the new water matched, and the fish appeared fine, so I continued adding the water.

I noticed the FD would continually retract into it's tube, then come back out, then retract. It was obviously unhappy with something. By the end of the night, it's crown was off.

A second FD has the curling effect going on, but hasn't shed it's crown. The third FD appears completely normal.

I usually squirt in Kent phyto once a week, turning off the skimmer when I do. I may go to twice a week now after reading the above link, which says they require a lot of food. I hope they make it, they add a lot of character to the tank.

reefcrazy00246
06/08/2003, 11:07 AM
guitarfish-When I was reading about your first FD, I was reminded of my own once. I was cleanig the top of my tank, and a small peice of dried(crustified) salt fell and hit his feathers...he then RAPIDLY retracted and came back out, several times in a couple seconds...luckily he never shed his feathers though. I have never done a water change before, so i haven't had any experiences of that.

Jason