PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem, please help.

Ralistin
06/05/2003, 06:27 PM
I started my tank back in December of 2002. Since then there have been many types of algae most of which have vanished from my system except these two which have become a big problem.

The two types of algae are 1) a red hair type algae that is so fine it is impossible to remove more then 50% of it off the rock unless I were to remove it and scrub it, 2) a what I would call sargasm type algae that is almost the same color of seaweed on a south florida beach, it has broadish leaves that are flat and grows in thick clumps.

Tank facts:

- nitrates have always been virtually 0
- Phosphates are virtually 0
- 75 gallon tank, 32 gallon sump with 3 maxi jet 1200 in the main tank for circulation on a wavemaster and a mag 9 as a return pump hooked up to a spray bar in the tank.
- lighting is 2 x 250 watts 6500k Iwasaki MH and 2 blue actinic VHO bulbs that are on for 10 hours.

I know algae in general love nitrates and phosphates to grow, they like poor circulation and long photoperiods. so all I can think of doing is reducing the photoperiod for awhile and maybe adding in another powerhead or two.

Please give me more ideas for getting rid of this algae, and taking the rock out for a scrub is not an option for me. Thank you in advance for any help!!!!!

PS, if you need more tank facts I can provide them!