PDA

View Full Version : cpr users!

pete_ra
06/05/2003, 05:48 PM
this is a thread for us cpr users. I used one on my 46 gal, now im trying to get away with it on my 65 gal, but ill use a rio 800 powerhead. My first question, have any of you devised a way to automatically drain the cup of liquid with out dumping the cup?

dwarfatize
06/05/2003, 06:06 PM
I havent come up with a way yet but I would replace the rio with a maxi-jet.

newkie
06/05/2003, 06:12 PM
CPR makes a few products.. its helps to clarify that you are talking about the bakpak skimmer (my guess as to what you're talking about).

re draining perhaps you could get a cheap tap set from www.harborfreight.com and install a nipple to a collection container.

pete_ra
06/06/2003, 09:02 PM
whats wrong w/ the rio

Jive Turkey
06/06/2003, 09:38 PM
Its notorious for nuking tanks. At least the bigger ones.
Plus they crap out all the time. Try a Maxi Jet 1200 with a Venturi adapter from Premium Aquatic for about $5. My CPR BP is now supercharged.

Preefs
06/06/2003, 09:55 PM
I've used the bakpaks for years with no problems. The larger pumps are notorius for nuking tanks but for whatever reason the smaller (800 and 600) seem to be fairly durable. I replace the propeller working or not every 2 years and have had great luck. As for automatic drainage, its probably a good idea to stick with manual changes as to clean the collecting duct keeps efficiency up somewhat. Happy reefing

softie57
06/06/2003, 10:06 PM
What I did first on my brother's bak pak 2r was replace the rio with a MJ1200 per this thread. (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56425&highlight=maxijet+modification) Then I went to Home Depot and bought (what I think was)a 1/4" hosebarb and carefully drilled a hole in it a little higher than half way up the cup. Finally, I threw an airstone in there and it has been working fine for the past few years...HTH :D

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6990&papass=&sort=1&thecat=

Python73
06/07/2003, 12:08 AM
There's nothing wrong with the rio. But the maxi works a lot better. I have one of each. Next time I order from PA I'll get another venturi kit and change out the rio.

Problem with an auto drain is that you have to drill the body and the cup, and that will limit the ability to change the depth setting on the cup. I'm sure you could work some notch setup in the body though.

S !