PDA

View Full Version : Is this a disease?

dave8274
06/05/2003, 05:19 PM
Ok, yesterday I noticed a bunch of TINY white spots on my Blue Chromis. The looked about the size of a grain of sand, maybe even smaller. On the clear fins and tail, they looked like glitter. Immediately I thought I had Ich. I did some research, here and in a book, and saw some Ich pictures. Now I don't think it is Ich, becasue the white spots are not raised and they are far smaller that the white spots I see in the Ich pictures. Also, the fish appears perfectly healthy other than the spots.

Looking at the descriptions in the book, I then figured it might be Velvet. But after doing more research, I have come to learn that Velvet usually isnt BRIGHT white, and it would also be likely that the fish would be unhealthy by the time anything became visible. So what do I have? Does it sound like anything you might be familiar with? Like I said, the white spots are about the diameter of a grain of sand but do not appear to be raised. They are on the body and fins, not really concentrated anywhere. As an aside, because I was worried, I soaked dinner last night and breakfast today in Garlic Extreme, and probably cooincidently, there were FAR fewer spots on my Chromis this morning. No other fish in the tank appears to have a single spot. I added a skimmer a couple days ago with a UV light, if that might help anyone.

Also, my water is full of circulating particles you can see with the naked eye, almost as if there were tiny air bubbles or some fine grains of sand swirling about. In fact, though it was probably my imagination, I thought I witnessed one of these dots actaully falling off the fish to the bottom of the tank last night, though it well could have been an optical illusion.

Thanks.

ChasingPuck
06/05/2003, 05:31 PM
There are times when sand/bubbles will get caught in the slime coat on a fish, but it usually only lasts for a day or two, and then the fish will shed it's slime coat to get rid of them. What you're describing doesn't sound like a disease, but it might be a parasite--look up fish lice. Most of them are small, and the color can vary.

dave8274
06/05/2003, 05:33 PM
Ah.... that makes sense. Especially with all the floating particles. I'll keep with the garlic to be safe and watch him carefully, though his behavior is the same as always and he eats like a pig. Thanks for the response!