PDA

View Full Version : Good filter feeders..

dave8274
06/05/2003, 05:12 PM
I read in a book that Ich and other parasites are less common in a reef tank because the filter feeders act as natural controls to some extent. What kind of filter feeders are good to have in your reef for removing undesireables from the water? I think all I have is a feather duster and 2 porcellin crabs. Anything else I should add?

SAT
06/06/2003, 10:06 PM
Whether filter feeders really help is a good theory, but may or may not be true. My opinion is reef tanks have less disease because the fish are less crowded, have better water conditions, and eat better. In any case, it's preferable not to have Ich in the tank at all. You can avoid it with proper quarantine of all new arrivals.

The problem with filter feeders is they need food. It's best not to add large filter feeders because they often just starve to death. Better is to seed the tank and see what grows. The most effective way I know to seed a tank is with Florida aquacultured rock... a rock or two will give you a bunch of different species. Feeding with DT's Phytoplankton will help keep them alive.

A warning, however: Fresh Florida rock often contains a few bad actors, like mantis shrimp and Aiptasia. Also, it's not a good idea to throw a large quantity into an established tank because it will cycle at least a little.