PDA

View Full Version : What size Hippo to Add?

dgin
06/05/2003, 02:53 PM
I want to add a Hippo Tang to my current 125g setup. There is an existing Yellow Tang thats about 4" long and a Flame Angel thats about 3" long. Both of these fish get along great but are territorial with any new fish. What size Hippo should I add to minimize chances of fighting?

Grouper Dog
06/05/2003, 03:16 PM
Because the yellow tang has already established his territory in your tank he will most likely be the aggressor when you add your hippo. So you should add a hippo that is larger then your yellow tang, how much larger is your call but I would say at least 6"+.
This still will not guarantee that they will coexist but at least a larger Hippo will have a better chance. With that said personally I feel that one tang in your tank is plenty but it is your tank, so good luck and I hope they get along.

Rockfish
06/05/2003, 03:50 PM
When I added my Hippo in with my Yellow, it was bigger than the Yellow. My Yellow was pretty laid back already. He gets along fine with the Hippo, and even 3 other Sail Fins I have in there with him. Remember no two fish act alike even if they are the same, so results may vary.